Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
Accepted Solution

Peaceful coexistence of WW tools w/multiple Java versions

Sorry if this is a noob question, but:

I need to have multiple versions of Java 6 and 7 on my development computer to support various dev tools, both BlackBerry and non-BlackBerry.

BB WebWorks system requirements for BBOS6/7, Tablet, and BB10 SDK's all show Java 6.

I see in the BBOS6/7 and Tablet WebWorks SDK installs, under bin\bbwp.properties, that I can apparently specify which Java version to use.  

In the BBOS6/7 WebWorks SDK, my default install has the default version of Java 6 that I have on my system, called out in bin\bbwp.properties.  (Java 7 is not yet installed on this system, but it will be, once I determine if/how to achieve peaceful coexistence).  

In the Tablet OS WebWorks SDK, my default install apparently has a bundled jre that came with the SDK, in bin\bbwp.properties.

In the BB10 WebWorks SDK, I don't find a bbwp.properties file.  So, how does the BB10 WebWorks SDK determine which jre to use? 

And also, generally, can any BB app dev consultants reading this confirm that the system requirements shown on https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/ for all of BBOS6/7, Tablet OS, and BB10 are indeed accurate, namely that:

For BBOS6/7, the Java6 *JDK* is required, but for Tablet OS and BB10, only the Java6 *JRE* is required.  The reason for this question is that I've seen some wording over on the AIR SDK system requirements pages that raised questions about whether those doc authors understood the terms they were using.

Thanks for any and all clarifications from BB and/or devs who have been through this exercise.

And finally, may I humbly suggest the topic of this message is a good candidate for a knowledgebase article.

Developer

Re: Peaceful coexistence of WW tools w/multiple Java versions

Actually now that I'm poking around in the BB10 SDK I'm wondering if it really needs Java at all or if it's completely node based.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Just to confirm, the BlackBerry 10 tools for WebWorks do not rely on Java anymore (huzzah!) :-)

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer

So should the line that says "Runtime environment: Java Runtime Environment 1.6 (32 bit)" be removed from this link :

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/requirements_bb10_sdk/

???

Retired

[ Edited ]

Indeed, I believe that's left over from before we made the switch to Node. I'll pass that feedback to our docs team.

Edit: Code signing, I forgot about code signing. I believe the JDK/JRE is still referenced at that stage of the process so it would be a requirement. Some work was being done to alleviate that requirement but I'll need to double check whether that is in today's tools or not.

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer

Thanks; it's always a good thing when devs have one less permutation of Java6/Java7 contortions to do on their dev machines.

Retired

Confirmed: JDK/JRE are still required for BB10 due to the signing requirements; but we definitely agree that having one less requirement to worry about would be great and we're working on it :-)