Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB

Performance of physical PlayBook vs. Simulator for CSS / DOM stuff

Anyone from RIM who can tell me how the real PlayBook's performance compares to the Simulator when it comes to DOM manipulation, CSS animations and JS in general?

The reason I'm asking is this:

I have some CSS animations that run great in Chrome/Safari, so-so in the PlayBook simulator and completely crappy (super choppy) on an iPad. JS speed is horrible too on an iPad.

Now I'm expecting the PlayBook to be a lot faster than an iPad, hoping anyway but it's hard to determine whether everything is fast enough in my app or not without having a clue about how close the simulator is to a real playbook.

Anyone who has had the chance to compare this?

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Performance of physical PlayBook vs. Simulator for CSS / DOM stuff

The simulator is much slower than the actual PlayBook... The main issue is that all of the animations are hardware accellerated on the PlayBook, and the VM ware software does not yet support this hardware accelleration.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
TheMarco

That's interesting indeed. Because with the XCode iPad simulator things are exactly the other way around. If something runs great in the simulator that's absolutely no guarantee for performance on the actual iPad.

I'm glad it's not like that for the PlayBook. My app performs acceptible in the simulator at this point. If the real PlayBook is a lot faster it will fly on there. Yay!

Developer
Heiko
My Device: Playbook

Can't wait to see how the playbook performs.

HTML5 rendering reasonable on Playbook sim - and that's WITHOUT any optimization, and using HUGE graphics and sounds files for initial proof/test.

Not sure how effective simulator optimizations will be on final Playbook hardware?

How can we submit apps to app world without testing them on hardware - is the app approval not for the final product ?

Will there be time to tweak an approved app before it goes live ?

(Sorry I should prob have posted this as a new thread - but question got spawned from this topic)

.Heiko

Developer
TheMarco

I'm just going to assume that RIM will get back to me when the performance of my app is unacceptable.

That said, it runs great for me in the simulator so I'm expecting it to be even better on the PlayBook.