Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
codewarrior_777
My Device: BB 10 Simulator
Accepted Solution

PhoneGap / Cordova example app not launching in BB10 Simulator

I'm trying to launch a 'Hello World' Phonegap example app in the BB10 Simulator. 

As far as I'm concerned, everything was done correctly. The icon even installs on the homescreen, but when I launch it I get a black screen with the BB 10 logo in the background and it just hangs. 

See pic:  

I have modified the 'project.properties' file in the project by adding the IP address of the simulator and pointing to the BB 10 WebWorks SDK.

I didn't add the BB 10 Simulator password, because as far as I'm concerned there isn't one. 

I followed all the directions on the Apache Cordova docs here.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
gtanner
My Device: Not Specified

Re: PhoneGap / Cordova example app not launching in BB10 Simulator

My guess is your are referencing or using an old SDK in your project.properties file.

Make sure it reads:

qnx.bbwp.dir=/Developer/SDKs/Research In Motion/BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.4.5

The latest version of the OS does not load apps that are built with old versions of the SDK.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
codewarrior_777

[ Edited ]

This is the latest BB 10 SDK and Simulator. I've just installed it this week.

I believe this path is no longer valid and should be updated in the Blackberry Docs:  

qnx.bbwp.dir=/Developer/SDKs/Research In Motion/BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.4.5

There is no longer a Developer folder for Mac development. Apple got rid of that with Xcode 4. 

I installed the SDK to my own created directory which I'm keeping in my Documents folder. It is showing the icon on the homescreen like I had said. 

Also, I'm getting 'Build Succesful' in Terminal. 

Development mode is enabled in the simulator as is 3D accelleration. According to the docs here, if you scroll down to 'Error Messages', it talks about the black screen which I've attached in the photo. However, the solution given is to enable 3D accelleration, which it is enabled by default in my Simulator. 

I've also tried lauching the app from the simulator using the two methods I've found including:

./blackberry-deploy -installApp -device <IP Address of Simulator> -package <BAR file path>

and the ant build method:

ant qnx load-simulator

I'm developing with :  OS 10.7.5, Phonegap 2.2.0, VmWare 5.0 and the BB10 WebWorks SDK and Simulators currently available here.

I'd say I've been pretty thorough. I've retried it all again and still getting the 'black screen".

Please use plain text.
Contributor
codewarrior_777

Also, I've tried uninstalling the SDK, but the uninstaller doesn't work that comes with the SDK.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
codewarrior_777

OK, the problem is that I didn't use the default setting for installing the SDK. You MUST use the default setting when installing the SDK at:

/Developer/SDKs/Research In Motion/BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK 1.0.4.5

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
gtanner
My Device: Not Specified

Well you don't have to use the default path. Just set project.properties to the path you have installed the SDK.

Please use plain text.