Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Plans for separate forums for PlayBook, until platforms merge?

[ Edited ]

I was wondering if there are plans to have separate WebWorks forums for PlayBook, until the platforms merge?  New developers looking to start for the PlayBook don't really see an immediate place to go with their questions - "Web Development" isn't necessarily considered the same as application development using a web framework.

The shared forum contributes to the feeling that PlayBook WebWorks is kind of an afterthought and not receiving a lot of focus. I know this to be incorrect - but wouldn't if I hadn't been paying attention to the dev blog (many new developers will not be; and/or may not bother reading old blog entries to find this out. ).

Knowledge from one doesn't typically transfer directly to the other. Solutions on one platform won't generally fix a similar issue on the othe platform (particularly in the context of OS5 vs webkit).  This makes it more confusing to newcomers when they go to the forum and see that a fair number of questions are not related to the platform they're interested in developing for.

Splitting forums gives phone and PlayBook developers a clear place to go with their questions; and neither has to sift through a significant number of posts in order to determine whether a given solution even applies ot their platform.

As the platforms themselves merge, so too could the forums -- but when solutions for one platform don't apply to the other, it's confusing having only one forum.

Is there anyone from RIM who can say whether or not this possible, or if it has been considered and ruled out already?

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Plans for separate forums for Playbook, until platforms merge?

The topic has come up in the past before... I think I have addressed most of your questions in the reply to another post on this topic:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/Could-we-split-up-the-forum-between-BlackBerr...

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Plans for separate forums for Playbook, until platforms merge?

Okay, thanks for the quick reply.   It makes sense when considering that most are questions related to web/html5.  It's just that from the outside looking in (and speaking as a relative newcomer to webworks itself), it's not immediately apparent how much overlap there is; and even whether this is the right place to go.  

I think what makes it harder to determine is the naming: "Tablet OS SDK for Adobe AIR" is very specific; yet right above we have a much more general forum "Web Development" which does not mention the tablet or the phone; it implies a focus on basic web technology (HTML/HTML5). Too - the only other forum similarly named (Java Development) is specifically for the phone.

Would a slight change in name make sense? eg "WebWorks SDK for BlackBerry Devices" -- but then HTML5 questions & questions would seem out of place and that would be its own source of confusion...  perhaps a named forum that redirects to the Web Development forum?

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: (BlackBerry Z10)-> Q10/Passport Dual Use

Re: Plans for separate forums for PlayBook, until platforms merge?

It doesn't seem that the Web Development Board will have it's own "WebWorks SDK for BlackBerry PlayBook" section.

I will post this reply as a main thread so that others can start using the naming convention.

A Solution

Naming New Threads

For all threads related specifically for WebWorks Development for the BlackBerry PlayBook:

• Start thread with PB
         e.g.
                       PB - How To Install New PlayBook SIM for Mac & Windows
                       PB - Question About Organizing Assets in File System

PB stands for PlayBook.

Searching for PlayBook Threads

Using the search feature type in the PB in the search field to filter the "Web Development" section for the BlackBerry PlayBook threads.