Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

PlayBook Dialog API changes Heads Up

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to give the community a heads up on a couple of changes that will be in the RTM version of the PlayBook WebWorks Dialog API.

Currently there are two methods "customAsk()" and "standardAsk()" on the Dialog object.

When you download and use the RTM WebWorks SDK (due out shortly) the names of these functions will have changed.

They are now "customAskAsync()" and "standardAskAsync()".

Any apps that you have submitted to AppWorld are all fine so there are no worries about them.  If you are re-packaging your app with the RTM WebWorks SDK and are using these Dialog functions mentioned above, you will want to update your code to reflect these naming changes.

Why you may ask???

As we are working towards more convergence between the Smartphone and PlayBook WebWorks SDKs we want to make sure that there aren't any API clashes.  On the Smartphone SDK "customAsk()" and "standardAsk()" are synchronous blocking methods.  On the PlayBook they are asynchronous and non-blocking.  So we have renamed the PlayBook Dialog functions by adding "Async" to them so that they do not clash with the Smartphone APIs.

Over time we will also be adding these "customAskAsync()" and "standardAskAsync()" functions to the Smartphone WebWorks SDK and we will be depricating the blocking "standardAsk()" and "customAsk()" methods.

Clear as mud?? :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
ddluk
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Re: PlayBook Dialog API changes Heads Up

Clear :smileyhappy: I know that you probably can't give us the exactly date when the RTM version of SDK will be available for us but maybe you can tell us any date range? Next week?

Please use plain text.
tneil

We are pushing to try and get the SDK out this week.  Close to the launch of the PlayBook

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
ddluk
My Device: Z10 and Z30
My Carrier: Play and Plus

Thank you. Could you also tell me if the Payment API will be included in this release? On github account Payment API is included in RTM: https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-TabletOS/tree/rtm/js_api/BlackBerry_Payment

Please use plain text.
tneil

I don't believe the payment API will be there yet.. We were working on it and then the Payment SDK started to get refactored by the Payment group.  It would be coming in a follow up release.

I believe I have all the features listed that will be in the release here:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks-TabletOS/wiki/Roadmap

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
greenback
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, DAC

Wonderful news. Thanks for giving us the heads up first.

Please use plain text.