Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

PlayBook Menu

Hi all - A newbie here!!

What is the bestway to impliment a menu system using WebWorks on the PlayBook?  I like to do one that works simular to the device browser (ie: drags open via a swipe down from the bizzle).  I've been playing with it most of the day using Java but I havent been to happy with what I have. I dont like jQuery-Moble be cause I cant use fragmented tags with that. I also havent had luck w/:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/Adding-Menu-Items-using-the-BlackBerry-WebWor...

I'm just not getting it. Or would I be better off w/developing thru Builder 4 (I like using but the content is HTML and I need the fragmenting links)

Any example code / point me to any tutorials will be very helpful.

Thnx!

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: PlayBook Menu

Hi camelCaser,

The link you provided for menu items is for the BlackBerry Menu button on a smartphone with WebWorks. On the PlayBook, there isn't a built in slide down menu like you see in the different applications.  Each app has implemented their own version to match the UI guidelines.  Even if you are writing your app in Flash you still need to build it yourself.

The group at TAT made one of these menus in a HTML WebWorks app simply by trapping the JavaScript touch events to drop down a menu on a downward swipe.  They then animated a div sliding down from the top using CSS 3 animations.

We will also be supporting the bezel swipe down gesture in the PlayBook WebWorks SDK that should make this event easier to trap.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: PlayBook Menu

Thank you for the input. That is what I had I done befor posting this question - built it with a HTML DIV and CSS (slide down from the top).  The problem is that the performace in the Simulator was very poor - The menu would often stick mid-page or off screen when the user scrolls the page.  Since I dont have access to a Playbook device, I was concerned that this issue would be seen on  a devoce it aswell.  I did test it on other devices over the wkend and I was satisfied w/the performance.  So I am going out on a limb in hope it will on a Playbook device too.

You mentioned: "We will also be supporting the bezel swipe down gesture in the PlayBook WebWorks SDK...".  Does this mean it is not yet?  I guess I could capture the swipe start event from x=0 to x +20 to get it from the bezel?  Currently a user has to tap on a handle. I haven't looked into the details of the API's, etc yet.

Also, Does BB plan to improve the Playbook Simulator soon to properly display and reflow the content when the orientation is turned to portrait (90/-90deg)?  The applications demos I am building for the FFA require a lot of screen orientation changes and doing soo on the Emulator cant be shown properly on it (I do know to swipe from the bottom-right-corner).  

Thank again.

Jason