Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
ryanmc
My Device: Blackberry Bold & Pearl
My Carrier: Telecom NZ
Accepted Solution

PlayBook - local storage on application upgrade

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what happens to the local storage (SQLite or key value pairs) when the application is upgraded via the BlackBerry store. Does it retain its content or get wiped?

Is there any sort of ETA on API's for accessing the devices shared storage?

Thanks

- Ryan

Please use plain text.
Developer
ryanmc

Re: PlayBook - local storage on application upgrade

Anyone?

I'm begining to think that it will be a good idea to link the application to a hosted .js file so that functionality such as backing up to the devices shared storage space can be implimented when the Webworks API is more fleshed out in subsequent versions of of the OS. I really don't want the overhead and potential liabilities of storing on my server. 

- Ryan

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

I haven't seen anything official, but I've investigated this area at length and have every reason to think the local storage will be preserved provided the app is not actually uninstalled.  An upgrade should preserve all that content.  I'd consider anything else to be a serious bug, and really I'm sure they won't choose to do it that way.  For whatever that's worth...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
ryanmc

Thats just what I wanted to hear, of course its a good idea to insert some sort of backdoor in case thes things don't pan out. A link to an empty JS file is a very good idea.

Please use plain text.