If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
ninedoors
My Device: Torch & Playbook
My Carrier: Bell

Playbook Keep Awake

I have searched google and this forum looking for a solution for the problem where I can't have my webworks application go to sleep.  I have tried this javascript extension:

Tablet sleep

The reason I need the playbook to say awake is that my application is an electric game sheet application for hockey.  It uses the playbook to track goals, penalties, game rosters and the game clock.  In most cases the game will not go 5 minutes without a whistle but I can not take the chance that it will and then the playbook going to sleep.  I'm sure you can realize how much of a problem this will cause.  Can any of the admins comment on when this will be added to the Webworks SDK because obviously I can't launch my app not being able to control when the playbook will go to sleep.

There is another thread about this issue that stated that the only reason the above extension doesn't work is the bug PR 104184 defect logged: "Unable to change value of systemIdleMode to KEEP_AWAKE".  Is this not a top priority and where can I go to track its progress?  Thanks

Nick 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
slidenv
My Device: Playbook 16GB
My Carrier: None

Re: Playbook Keep Awake

I'm not sure if you can set this up in an app but you could try suggesting that your users put their playbooks in showcase mode when using your app.

Settings->General->Application Behavior->Showcase

I believe that will keep it from going to sleep but I'm not positive.

Mark

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ninedoors

Still waiting on any admin to comment on this.  Where is this defect in the priority list?  I would like to know if there is a chance this will get fixed or if I should quit this project right now.  I don't think I am asking for a lot here just for someone in the know to update the situation.

Nick

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vitalyx
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Tele2

I'm interested as well. Anybody?

Best webOS stock market app comes to Playbook: Top Stocks
Please use plain text.
Contributor
ninedoors

I have been told that this bug will not be fixed until BB10 is complete.  If you follow this link, bug report, then you will see that there is a work around at the bottom of the page.  You can place a video in the page and this will stop the webkit window from fading out. 

I have tried the work around and it does work.  I created a small 3 seconds video in premiere that was only a couple KBs to reduce the ram used.  I didn't notice any performance decrease when I added the video.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
vitalyx
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Tele2

Cool, thanks for your reply!

Best webOS stock market app comes to Playbook: Top Stocks
Please use plain text.