Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
My Device: Dev Alpha B + Playbook
Accepted Solution

Playbook: Problems with package names from bb10 containing dots

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I ported my app "Medicine Cabinet Children" from Android. In the according manifest.mf the package name is: de.ebsonline.medicinecabinetchildren.

Meanwhile I redesigned that app using WebWorks and signed it with the same keys and same package name for BB10 as that for Android.

At that time, I thought, the app could be the same for BB10 and Playbook. Unfortunatelly it's not the same. Some customers bought it for the Playbook and got the installation error 0008.

Following an advice from @oros here in the forum, I tried to create a special version of the app for the playbook. But the problem is, that I am not able, to create the same package name, because for the playbook, the entry in the config.xml may not have any dots and there seems to be a limit in the length.

As a result, it seems that I am not able to create a new version with the original package name of my app for the playbook users, who have already bought the app and cannot install it! But I don't want to create a completely new app, because this would result in loosing my actual clients.

Could you please give me a hint (or a step by step solution, if possible) for this problem?

Many thanks for your help and best greetings from Germany

Rolf Eschenbach

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Playbook: Problems with package names from bb10 containing dots

Hi there, the approach I would recommend now is as follows:

PlayBook does not accept periods in the ID; modify the ID to some unique value that does not contain periods. Build the PlayBook version with the WebWorks Tablet OS SDK. This will build your PlayBook version with a proper ID. For example:

myappid

The next step is to update the BlackBerry 10 ID to match the PlayBook version.

Once built, open the BAR file with an archive program (WinRAR, etc.) and locate META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. In there should be an Package-name: element that is your config.xml ID followed by 32 hex (0-F) characters. Example:

myappid2ab4f2957239f2b123abe8349039de23

Copy that entire string and use it in your BB10 config.xml as the id. Then, when you package and sign your BB10 version with the BlackBerry 10 WebWorks SDK, the resulting ID in bar-descriptor.xml should match that of the PlayBook version.

Since we have changed both the PlayBook and BB10 BAR file IDs, they can not be added as updates to the existing products in BlackBerry World. To resolve this, you will need to engage the BlackBerry World storefront team and request that they reset the ID associated with your existing product. This will allow you to upload the new products for PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 both, and the storefront ID will be automatically set to the new ID, allowing future updates. The storefront team can be contacted through this form:

https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C

Re: Playbook: Problems with package names from bb10 containing dots

I've found the following

Use short naming in the id field = like this at the start of config.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"
        xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets"
        version="1.0.0.1" id="compeardoxgreatapp">

On BB10 I'd give it an id of com.peardox.greatapp

There's a limit on the number of characters a Playbook can have in the resulting package name (50 as I remember) - I guess we've got about 18 for our own use

You don't have to use reverse DNS but it's easier for compatibility for the configs that require it - just miss out the dots for PB

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!