Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
praveen_rajan
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Playbook WebWorks API extension configuration support

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to package an API extension with an application. The default extensions are located at bbwp/ext folder. I've a custom extension which i would like to include in my app. I was able to compile the app with my custom extension copied to this mentioned location. My question is should i add the custom extension to my application folder? If so how can that be done. Any particular folder structure to be followed? Please help me out.

Thanks

Praveen

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook WebWorks API extension configuration support

If you have built an extesions and placed it in the "bbwp/ext" folder it will be added to your application whenever you add the <feature> element with your extension's feature id.

All applications built with the SDK that include the <feature> element will have your extension added to them.  There isn't anything you need to add to an application.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
praveen_rajan

Yes, I got that to work perfectly. But my point is I do not want to tamper with the native WebWorks SDK package. So will the package be included if I add those to my application folder rather than adding it to WebWorks folder. Or something similar to that. I just wanted to know if there is any work around for that. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
tneil

Well it wouldn't be considered "tampering" with the SDK package :smileyhappy:

This is actually our intended approach for having each of those directories... There is no way to embed your extension as a resource as part of your WebWorks archive file.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
praveen_rajan

[ Edited ]

@Tim 

I was able to create a WebWorks extension for writing data to a file and reading back data from the file. This works perfectly with text information. But what I'm trying to achieve is to write a image raw data into a file. The file gets broken when i write data in this manner. Any idea if this could be possible?

Also I would like to know if this feature will be available in the next SDK update. A litlle information about IO API in the next SDK update will be really helpful.

Please use plain text.
tneil

The File API that will be supported is the same one that is supported on Smartphones today.  You can check out the file and directory sections from the Table Of Contents:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/webworks/api/blackberry.io.file.html

This functionality should be coming out this week sometime.  The code is tested, we are just going through the final web site staging processes to get it live.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
praveen_rajan

Thanks for the information. So I guess the File API will be sufficient enough to write an image into the device from raw data and read the same back.

Please use plain text.