Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: PLaybook
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Playbook webworks apps slow

I'm experiencing issue with development for the Playbook using the webworks kit. My apps, although relatively simple in code, are slow to load. Background images which are only 50KB in size can take 5 or 6 seconds to appear. The app hangs while this is happening. Some of the JSON loading code is also very slow to respond. Tetxboxes with auto populate (jquery) are laggy, perhaps 5 to 10 seconds.

Also, if this same code is run from a web server via the inbuilt browser, it loads perfectly fine and fast and is very responsive. The auto populate is perfectly responsive.

Does anyone know if running apps as compiled products is somehow different to the same code running within the web browser?

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Playbook webworks apps slow

They shouldn't be loading/running any slower than they do in the browser.  A WebWorks app and the Browser use the exact same WebView control.

If you run your WebWorks app by pointing its starting page to the remote server like you did in your browser tests, does it make your app run faster?

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

I'll give it a try and report back.
Contributor

The only thing I could do to improve loading time is to massively reduce the quality of my included images. This has made it more acceptible, about 1->2 seconds to load but I've really had to compromise on image quality.

I've also minified all .js files and obfuscated them as much as possible. All of this has helped but at a fair price, I'd say.Embedded iFrame is definitely slower than the same page in the standard browser.

A shame really as the platform otherwise is working well.

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

I have noticed the same thing regarding images. I am doing some digging to find out exactly what the problem is.

Doug Neiner - Official jQuery Team Member, Senior Designer at appendTo
http://dougneiner.com | @dougneiner
Developer
My Device: Z10, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Smartone

It's been a year and I think the issue is still here.

I've just run into the same slowness issue using jpeg for background images on PlayBook 2.0.1.358. Is this a known issue to RIM already? Thanks.

Developer
My Device: Curve 9360, Playbook, BB10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: TMN

Hi.
Not sure how it was before, but I don't experience this lag.
My latest app (http://www.bitoutsidethebox.com/products/cartlendar/) does a heavy use of images (as you can see in the screenshots), and loads pretty quick (i'd say 1-2secs)

I'm on 2.1Beta
Nuno