Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
SenTnel

Problem with Eclipse WebWorks installation

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone!

Im a newcomer to the Blackberry Development world and still trying to setup the correct environment.

I have installed three different Eclipse versions or packages, few months ago I had installed the "Europa" version for other purposes, and when I came to Blackberry developers community I downloaded and installed the "Galileo" (Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, Build id: 20090619-0625).

I started testing java development, then wanted to try web development and downloaded and installed  Eclipse IDE for Java Developers, Version: Helios (Release, Build id: 20100617-1415).

The problem: When I start Eclipse Helios for WebWorks I get this error: 

" Problem Occurred
Javac detector for BlackBerry WebWorks Application has encountered a problem. Javac 1.6.0 or above, which is required to build BlackBerry WebWorks application, is not found in your system. "

When I run "java -version"  from the command prompt I get:

java version "1.6.0_23"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_23-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode)

Why Eclipse for Java Dev works fine but Eclipse for  WebWorks does not find javac.exe ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Problem with Eclipse WebWorks installation

Hello,

To confirm, the latest version of the BlackBerry WebWorks Plug-in for Eclipse is v2.5.1 (build 201010291444-2) and is for Eclipse Helios.  The WebWorks component used by this plug-in has a dependency on the Java Development Kit v1.6.

Can you verify that you have the Java Development Kit (JDK) installed, and not the Java Runtime Environment (JRE)?

Cheers,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mobb
My Carrier: Mtel

Exactly the same problem in Windows 7 with installed both : jdk and jre

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Floogle
My Carrier: Verizon

I'm also having trouble installing WebWorks SDK...

I have JDK 1.6.0_24 (latest) installed, with JAVA_HOME pointing to it.

I'm on Windows 7.

I keep getting this from the installer.  How do I get the installer to know that I DO have the latest JDK?

WebWorks Installation error

Please use plain text.
Developer
billfoust
My Carrier: AT&T

Check your Windows PATH environment variable. It may be that an older version of Java is referenced in the PATH. The HOME variable may have a similar problem. May not be much, but its the best idea I have at the moment.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcwickens
My Carrier: N/A

[ Edited ]

Did anyone ever manage to fix this? I am having the same problem. I can open a command window, and type javac -version and I get javac 1.6.0_24 - That tells me it is correctly setup in the PATH variable.

Any other suggestions anybody? 

I am using 32bit XP pro. The error message is

Javac 1.6.0 or above, which is required to build BlackBerry WebWorks application, is not found in your system.

Thanks,

Marc

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mobb
My Carrier: Mtel

Yes.

Just put the correct java_sdk\bin path in PATH system variable.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcwickens

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I have done this already- does the fact that I can open a command window at any location, and use javac without its full path not confirm that my JDK is correctly set in the path?

I have verified that the PATH is set correctly (in my case, it is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_24\bin)

Any other ideas? I have also noticed under the settings screen for the WebWorks plugin, there are no device emulators listed - and none can be found. I do have the SDK installed, (I have been using the command line and ant load-simulator up until now).

Any other suggestions? 

Thanks again,

Marc

Please use plain text.
New Developer
mbenge
My Carrier: Sprint

Hi,

I encountered the same issue on Windows XP today with the same update of the Sun JDK 6.  Is the WebWorks SDK (setup.exe) install attempting to use something beyond the Java version to verfiy installation of the Sun JDK?  JAVA_HOME and PATH are set to the correct location as system environment variables. 

Has anyone else gotten it to work with update 24 of the JDK? 

Thanks,

Mark

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
marcwickens

[ Edited ]

Hi I have managed to fix the issue on my system.

Before I had installed the plugin manually following a set of instructions (http://us.blackberry.com/developers/browserdev/eclipseupdate.jsp), by going into Eclipse and adding the various components. This doesn't work.

I decided to uninstall EVERYTHING BlackBerry related, and then started again, using the combined installer found at http://us.blackberry.com/developers/browserdev/eclipseplugin.jsp

It installs another copy of Eclipse, which meant all my other plugins needed to be reinstalled. Boo :smileysad:

However, I can at least compile WebWorks apps and deploy the simulator. I can even see JavaScript error messages! (fancy that in 2011) JavaScript debugging doesn't work however.

So uninstall all your eclpse plugins and Blackberry SDKs, and install again using the link above (make sure you log in before going to that link, otherwise when you click to log in you get taken to a different page which lists a different download. The file you want is BlackBerry_Web_Tools_2.5.1.201010291444-2.exe and is 535.896 MB. It worked for me.

And yes I am using Java 1.6 Update 24.

Regards,

Marc 

Please use plain text.