Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
mobilvar
My Device: 9930

Problems Registering Signing Keys on Mac

I'm having problems trying to register my Playbook signing keys.

I enter my info following the format in the developer documentation:

blackberry-signer –register –csjpin 123456 –storepass rocket11 C:\keys\client-RDK-488888888.csj C:\keys\client-PBDT-488888888.csj

When I press enter, I get: 

Enter Passphrase for keystore:  [ I enter my passphrase, aready specified at the command line, here]
Error: Keystore load: /Users/MyMini/Library/Research In Motion/author.p12 (No such file or directory)

I see that barsigner.db has been created in  /Users/MyMini/Library/Research In Motion/, but nothing else.

Developer
Puzzling
My Device: 9800

Re: Problems Registering Signing Keys on Mac

I'm a bit confused.  You say you are on a Mac but you are using Windows path syntax (C: and \ in the path).    On a Mac it will be something like

blackberry-signer -register -csjpin 123456 -storepass rocket11 ~/Downloads/client-RDK-48888888.csj

I'm assuming the .csj is in your Downloads directory - otherwise use the correct path.  However, this step can only occur after you have generated the key pair using something like the following:

blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass rocket11 -dname="cn=YourCompanyName" -alias author

Make sure the company name matches your original request exactly.   You can see what it has to be in the csj file.

BTW, now that you've posted the rocket11 password, you might want to change it before registering (if you haven't already).

Ps.  I didn't look at the BB docs while posting, just my own notes, so there may be minor errors.

Trusted Contributor
mobilvar

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the path in the snippet I posted is for windows. I just used the example provided in the RIM documentation here: https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/signing_setup_tablet_apps_1920009_11.html.

The pwd Rocket11 is also used in the example in the link above.

Are you sure I need to generate the keys? The documentation online doesn't mention doing that.

I've followed steps 1 to 3. It's on step 3 that I'm having the problem. 

Developer
Puzzling
My Device: 9800

[ Edited ]

I have to admit I found it very difficult to pull all of the RIM signing stuff together (the reason I have my own notes).  Unfortunately, the link you sent didn't really help me see what you were looking at.   A careful review of my notes gives the following:

- generate the sigtool.p12

blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass <storepw> -dname="cn=YourCompanyName" -alias author

- move sigtool.p12 from the current directory into the bbwp/bin directory (missed this) - my sdk is in ~/SDKs/BlackBerry - adjust the path below for your installation.

mv sigtool.p12 ~/SDKs/BlackBerry/bbwp/bin

- setup communication keys (also missed this last time)

blackberry-signer -csksetup -cskpass <cskpw>

- register the keys with RIM through the CSK channel

blackberry-signer -register -csjpin <csjpw> -cskpass <cskpw>  ~/Downloads/client-RDK-?????????.csj

<storepw> is a new password you create for this

<csjpw> is the password you originally configured with RIM

<cskpw> is, as I recall, another new password

Interestingly, the embedded help for blackberry-signer shows that for the -register option you need the -storepass and the -csjpin passwords but not the -cskpass password.  My notes have the two I show above.    Let me know if you figure out which is correct so I can update my notes.   Not having the cskpass doesn't make much sense to me.

I think some of these steps can be merged with the right options to blackberry-signer but I'm not certain.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
chadtatro
My Device: Z10

I spoke to someone with the same problem yesterday.

I'm not 100% sure how it would work on a Mac, but on Windows we were able to solve this person's problem be running command prompt with Administrator rights.  

His user account was preventing access, and causing the .p12 file to not be generated.

Chad Tetreault | App Development Consultant | BlackBerry Developer Relations | developer.blackberry.com | @chadtatro
Trusted Contributor
mobilvar

I'm logged in as the Admin user for my mac.

Trusted Contributor
mobilvar

[ Edited ]

Got  past the first step- generating the sigtool.pl2

blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore sigtool.p12 -storepass 12345 -dname "cn=cname" -alias author

Trusted Contributor
mobilvar

[ Edited ]

OK, using the steps by the user ryanmc detailed in this thread I was finally able to register my keys.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-and-WebWorks-Development/Playbook-cskpass-csjpass-cskpin-...

This process took way, way too long, RIM. About 4 hours of research and trial and error.