Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
fbwing
My Device: Not Specified

Problems using Tel:

I'm building a .NET web page that I want to take the contents from a textbox field and use as the link for a hyperlink field.  I'm using the "onclick" event of the hyperlink field to run a javascript function that retrieves the contents of the textbox field.  When the user clicks on the hyper link, the get the popup message "The protocol specified is not supported by the handheld. Please try a different URL.".

The problem only occurs on older devices, in my situation it is an 88xx device runnning OS 4.2.  With newer devices my code works just fine.

My .NET code is dynamically generating the textbox and hyperlink fields as it parses data retrieved from a SQL database.  Below is the javascript function that is being called when the onclick event occurs:

function hCall_Click(obj) {

var temp = new Array();

temp = obj.id.split('_');

var txtNumber = document.getElementById('txtNumber_' + temp[1]);

var number = txtNumber.value;

window.parent.location = 'tel:' + number;

}

I've tested just adding a hyperlink with the tel: link hard coded to a specific number, and if I enclose the tel: url inside single quotes I get the same error.  It appears the results of the 'tel:' + number in the javascript is not the same thing as if you simply coded the link to a specific tel:xxx-xxx-xxxx url.

Works:

<a href="tel:440-522-8047" id="testlink" runat="server">Call</a>

Does not work:

<a href="'tel:440-522-8047'" id="testlink" runat="server">Call</a>

Haven't found much help searching the forums or googling the error message, so hoping to find some answers here.

Thanks.

fbwing

Developer
fbwing
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problems using Tel:

Here's what I've learned.  Prior to OS 4.6 the BB Browser does not allow dynamic changes to the content of a web page.  So whether you are attempting to dynamically change the link in a hyperlink field or if you are trying to dynamically change the text of a label field, it will not work prior to OS 4.6.  There are no work arounds.

fbwing