Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
vineet_kane
My Device: Not Specified

Proper validation message required for the devices which do not support OS 5.0 after launching an apllicatio​n designed for OS 5.0 and above

We have designed an application which supports OS 5.0.

Issue 1 : However, if the user installs the application in OS 4.2, 4.6 or 4.7 then an error message is displayed saying "Net_RIM_BB_Browserfield2_api not found".

We want a proper validation message to be displayed here so that the application users are aware that the application is supported only for OS 5.0 and above but the developers are not able to add the validation message and they say it is not possible to implement. However, I as a QA feel that it is possible. Please let me know if it is possible to have the message displayed as you launch the application.

Issue 2 : The same build if run on OS 6.0, a complete white page is displayed and the application does not move further.

How do we handle this for forward compatibilty?

Waiting for the expert suggestions!!!

Thanks,

Vineet Kane

Developer
TimothySvecz
My Device: 8530

Re: Proper validation message required for the devices which do not support OS 5.0 after launching an apllicatio​n designed for OS 5.0 and above

1. You have to look at the initial customer contact point and determine the best method for delivery to prevent a problem such as this. Take a look at the article below. When I deliver content to a non-public audience I use OTA unless they have bes, the landing page atomatically directs them based on model/version.

Reason being that some companys will also have employees that have devices of varying screen deminsions.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Web-Development/How-to-detect-the-BlackBerry-Browser/ta-p/559...

another option....

While only theoretical (I havent done anything like this, maybe someone else has) You could package a java app that checks the OS version and screen size and then redirects based on this information.

http://rim.lithium.com/t5/Java-Development/Launch-a-third-party-application-from-another-third-party...

basically the java app would say " if the OS version is 5.0 or greater open our app, else display a link to upgrade OS." Basically a complicated splash screen.

Your going to use this same process for 6.0 as well. Someone might have a better idea... idk.

New Contributor
vineet_kane
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Proper validation message required for the devices which do not support OS 5.0 after launching an apllicatio​n designed for OS 5.0 and above

We are using browser object in our application, and on the versions before 5.0, it is not supported as a result of which if one just clicks on "Launch" an error message is triggered.

Before launching the application, it erring.