Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
eblade
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

Proposal: subforums for phone and tablet development

Considering that we are basically using two completely different systems, which have quite differing Javascript APIs, and one is implemented in Java and the other in AIR, it might be a good thing to have seperate forums.  

Please use plain text.
Developer
interfaSys
My Device: Z10, Q10, 9900, 9790, PlayBook,
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK, Three, O2, Orange, Sunrise, Swisscom

Re: Proposal: subforums for phone and tablet development

[ Edited ]

I agree. It would also generate less noise for people following one side or the other.

--
Olivier - interfaSys ltd
Developing for BlackBerry 10 devices using the Sencha Touch framework.
Please use plain text.
Developer
eblade

Having two things that have the same name, and look the same on the outside, but operate in completely different fashions, and have different APIs, all having the same forum area is .. questionable, for sure.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Puzzling
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Not sure we have enough volume to need the split.   Also, isn't the goal to make these compatible platforms?

Please use plain text.
Developer
eblade

I don't know -- there are -plenty- of posts in here, if I don't keep up every day, it's daunting.

And maybe the goal is to make them compatible platforms, but at the moment, they are pretty much completely different animals -- not only do the tablets have a completely different system backing it up, they have an operating system with a completely different UI, each platform has quite differing APIs, and searching for information specifically relating to WebWorks on Tablet results in a ---load of useless hits on information that often ends up only applying on the handhelds.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
BertKoor
My Device: PlayBook & Bold 9780
My Carrier: n/a

I vote against a split. There's a lot in common in HTML5/WebWorks development for both smartphones and playbook tablet. The differences are only in the lower level APIs and RIM seems to see it as one platform. I think one major advantage is that the same source code can be used for both.

Please use plain text.
Developer
eblade

while obviously that's where they want it to go -- that's not very true in practice.

Much of the API is split between "only available on BlackBerry OS" and "only available on PlayBook OS".
Please use plain text.