Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
smartek
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: o2
Accepted Solution

Question about the WebWorks Roadmap and Cordova

Hi, in the WebWorks Raodmap[1] is the following statement:

In order to make the promise of HTML5 cross-platform development even more real, we will be leveraging the Apache Cordova open source project as the heart of the WebWorks SDK for BlackBerry 10. This will allow BlackBerry web developers to more seamlessly leverage a much wider array of tools and frameworks being built around the "center of gravity" for mobile web applications.

What does it exactly mean? Will Cordova replace the Webworks API?

[1] https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/downloads/roadmap/

Plase "+Like" my post if it was helpful.
Please use plain text.
Developer
Philipk
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

Re: Question about the WebWorks Roadmap and Cordova

Asked the same question a while ago. I think that is all the information that BlackBerry is willing to release at the moment.

In short we will have to wait and find out... maybe more info at BlackBerry Live.
erikjohnzon
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: Question about the WebWorks Roadmap and Cordova

"In order to make the promise of HTML5 cross-platform development even more real, we will be leveraging the Apache Cordova open source project as the heart of the WebWorks SDK for BlackBerry 10. This will allow BlackBerry web developers to more seamlessly leverage a much wider array of tools and frameworks being built around the "center of gravity" for mobile web applications."

Let's disect this statement and I'll add what I can:

"we will be leveraging the Apache Cordova open source project as the heart of the WebWorks SDK for BlackBerry 10" - This means that you can think of the future of WebWorks BB10 as being "built" on top of Cordova. So our API's and support for creating webviews etc will be built in top of the standards defined in the Cordova project.

"This will allow BlackBerry web developers to more seamlessly leverage a much wider array of tools and frameworks being built around the "center of gravity" for mobile web applications." - Currently there are groups building tools to work on top of Cordova; perhaps your favourite editor already has Cordova or PhoneGap support. This will mean you can use it as part of your BB10 development, without worrying about the tools specific to BB only.

By the end of this process it should in theory be easier to work with WebWorks.

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Please use plain text.