Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
My Device: Playbook, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

RIpple Woes - localhost:9900 unreliable and touch events not working for me

Newbie questions:

I just downloaded and installed WebWorks SDK, Ripple etc... I've followed the cookbooks/docs and been able to load samples into Ripple and also deploy them to emulator and to my Playbook.

I am having some problems that seem to be so basic but are really getting in the way of doing anything.

1. Ripple sometimes doesn't like loading from localhost:9900. Sometimes it works sometimes it fails. I cannot figure out how to reliably load my app. Sometimes I just get a white screen when I use localhost:9900. If I use http://blackberry.github.com/WebWorks-Samples/kitchenSink it works 100% of the time. If I try http://localhost:9900/HelloWorld/index.html it  works sometimes. If I type the url and then restart Ripple sometimes it works. Once 9900 URLs are working they keep working for the current session, but it seems like you can easily get into a state where nothing happens. Yet real URLs work 100% of the time. Firewalls are off etc...

2. Touch events. Am I just thick? Seems to be lots of posts indicating touch events work great in Ripple. HOW!?? How do I swipe the screen? Using the mouse doesn't work. And using my finger just leaves a greaseprint on my LCD :smileyhappy:. For example: On the kitchen sink app using the mouse just selects the text on the screen. I cannot scroll down to the bottom of the screen. And on a page with a menu I cannot swipe down from the bezel to make the menu appear.

Please help me love developing for playbook (Instead of pulling my hair in frustration). 

Thanks
Norm

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: RIpple Woes - localhost:9900 unreliable and touch events not working for me

1. This could be a bug, I'm really not sure.  Would you be so kind as to report this in Github for the Ripple-Framework repo? https://github.com/blackberry/Ripple-Framework/issues

2. Mouse click events are mapped  to touch events in Ripple, so you can capture TouchStart, TouchEnd, TouchMove and TouchCancel.  You (should be able to) disable default browser behaviors from JavaScript using the e.preventDefault() method.  The kitchenSink app also has a "Swipe Gestures" demo.  When testing Ripple it does respond correctly to swipe up/down/left/right gestures.  However it doesn't prevent text from being selected (I think this is a bug with Ripple).  Have you looked already at this demo?

>>And using my finger just leaves a greaseprint on my LCD

HA! That would have been funny to see.

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.