Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
WhirlpoolBrian

RTSP streaming from an intranet server

Hello, all! This is my first post. Thank you for offering this community as a resource.

I'm developing some interactive communications that involve a Blackberry-formatted intranet website.

To this website, I'd like to add some audio and video.

My first attempt was to post an mp3 file to the server and access it via HTTP. I recieved the "413 Request entity too large" message.

So I then looked to how YouTube works - RTSP!

I installed the open source (and VERY easy to install!) Apple Darwin Streaming Server on my intranet server to test and verified that it works by streaming a QuickTime file to my PC.

From my Blackberry, I can use the Browser to successfully access web content from the server. However, if I link from that web cotnent to RTSP streaming content on the same server, I see the error message "Contnet not available. Server is blocked or unresponsive."

Of course, I know that the server is both available (because I can reach it via the Browser) and responsive (because I can stream to my PC).

My theory is that while the Browser looks at my intranet in addition to the Internet, the media player application is only looking at the Internet for some reason.

What are your experiences with streaming to Blackberry from within the firewall? How have you overcome this and/or other issues?

Thank you!

■ BRIAN SNYDER // SENIOR MANAGER, INTERACTIVE COMMUNICATIONS AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT
Whirlpool Corporation // www.WhirlpoolCorp.com

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: RTSP streaming from an intranet server

I am behind a corporate firewall, an I can listen on my PV to shoutcast streams. Maybe you can make a shoutcast-like stream for your mp3 ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
WhirlpoolBrian

Thanks for your note! What do you mean by PV? I'm not up on all the Blackberry acronyms.

Do Shoutcast streams open in the media player? No error 413?

Thanks again!

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

I'm sorry, I cannot recall what I meant by PV. I guess you can replace it by "device".

The HTTP 413 error means the file is too big. The shoutcast I tried were less than 3min.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.