Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
mikeo007
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

Remove mouse pointer in widgets

Hi everyone, I have a quick question regarding the mouse pointer in blackberry widgets.  Is there any way to remove the pointer completely in a widget application?  I would like it to function more like a normal blackberry app, where the selection just snaps to the next selectable object when you scroll the ball/touchpad.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Remove mouse pointer in widgets

This will be available very, very, very soon :smileyhappy:

We are going through the final testing of the next Beta drop of the Widget SDK that will allow you to do exactly what you are asking.

You can actually specify any HTML element to be focusable that will fall into a navigation order on the page when the trackball/trackpad is used for navigation.  This will allow you to create an interface indistinguishable from a Java UI.

As the HTML elements gain focus, their mouseover and css:hover events will be triggered, and the mouseout events will be triggered when they lose focus.

You will also be able to override the onUp, onDown, onLeft, onRight scroll events via JavaScript on any focusable element when the user scrolls.  This can even allow you to create a joystick like action on an element.

We demonstrated this functionality at the BlackBerry Developer conference in November and it is just about to be released.

Stay tuned...

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
mikeo007
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: ATT

I find CSS and html very easy to work with in respect to GUI design so this is great news! Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to this release!

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

It's pretty cool stuff and I can't wait to get it out there :smileyhappy:

You will have fine grain control of focus order based on the users input of UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT

Out of the box it figures out the desired navigation pretty well, but there are always those cases where you will want to override the default behavior.  So we made sure that was also possible

Cheers,

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.