Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
carasin
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9930

Rendering Engine Error on Jquery Mobile site

I'm currently building a mobile site with jquery mobile. On a couple Blackberry Bolds I get the following error intermittently: “Uncaught Exception – The rendering engine has been destroyed."  and the site no longer opens. 

Has anyone run into this error or know what it means. Haven't seen much on google?

Thanks

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Rendering Engine Error on Jquery Mobile site

Hello there,

I haven't seen this myself but that's a pretty serious error. If you're able to narrow down at all what specifically might be causing the crash, I'd be interested to hear / forward this along to our browser teams.

Does this happen only on the Bolds or other devices as well? Any public URL we could visit by chance to see this?

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Contributor
carasin

Sent you a private message, thanks.
oros

[ Edited ]

Thanks carasin, I'll take a look.

Just a debugging note in general. If browsing a website through the device browser (and using a device with OS7 or newer), you can press the menu button while the Browser is open and select:

Developer Tools > Enable Web Inspector

Note that you need to be connected to WiFi for this to function. You will then be prompted with an IP / PORT combination that you can type into a browser. If that PC is on the same network as the device, then you can view the web inspector for that browser.

In cases like this, specifically, it will give you an error console (and other debugging tools) that you can leverage to monitor what is going on, which may help narrow down any specific causes of errors.

EDIT: Removed random smiley emoticon due to poor choice of character/symbol combination :smileytongue:

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
New Contributor
Mamou

I'm having the same problem but on a different website.  The error is "Uncaught exception: The rendering engine has been destroyed.". It has happened twice now, and the word "destroyed" is pretty scary.  I'm using a Blackberry bold touchscreen.  I don't remember what I was doing the first time, but this time i was in the mobile website of Groupon.com.  Both times I clicked "ok" and everything seems to work fine.  But I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Were you able to find out anything?  

oros

Hi Mamou,

I haven't seen this error myself yet. We'll need a consistent way to produce this issue so that we can hook up Web Inspector to see if it gives any additional information around the error. Previously, the error seemed related to the volume of scripts being loaded, but I don't have a specific scenario to test at this time.

New Contributor
carasin

Unfortunately I was never really able to pin down the exact problem. We were only getting the error on one specific device. When using the same device but without any other apps and such installed, we didn't get the error. JQuery mobile is a pretty heavy javascript load, so we ended up serving a version of the site without the javascript to blackberries and this resolved the issue.
New Contributor
meliamae12
My Device: bold 9650

Same message just happened to me, I was also browsing groupon, direct link from my email.

I often gt uncaught exception messages. mostly on start up though

oros

Can you please post your device models and full OS versions? (i.e. 9900 running 7.1.0.123 bundle 456.)

New Contributor
meliamae12
My Device: bold 9650

I have a bold 9930 running 7.1 bundle 457