If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
manleon
My Device: Not Specified

Require Indian Language support in Blackberry. Urgent Please.

Hello everyone,

I am new to blackberry and know very less about it technically. Actually I am in to a company developing web application for vairous clients. Now one of our already existing web applications need to be accessed through the blackberry through browser.

Right now i am using blackberry 7290 simulator for testing my web application. I dont know the os version in blackberry so please pardon me for that. Now out web application is bilingual and therefore supports English and Gujarati(Indian Language). When we select language as english, whole application works fine. But when we select Gujarati it shows all the gibberish stuff on the browser. Plus we have also seen the options in device where no support for an Indian language is provided.

So I wanted to know how to install new fonts in blackberry both simulator and the device. I am using a 7 series device provided by service provider (I dont know the very exact model no) but even in the device the output is same.

I require help urgently. I am ready to pipe in all the efforts but require some guidelines on urgent basis. Can we add windows fonts to Black berry. Is a "Indian Language " language pack is already available. Do we have to develop the fonts for blackberry device.

Please provide solutions to my doubts. Please tell if more info is required. I will some how manage to get the information from the device.

I want to test the application on simulator and device both. So if some how it is possible to provide gujarati language support for both device and simulator then please help.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Re: Require Indian Language support in Blackberry. Urgent Please.

I'd be curious to know how this works out because I talked to RIM about support for different character sets as we wanted to be ready to also go to China and have support for Russian users too and I wasn't sure that you could

handle everything with just resource files.

My only experience with fonts

so far has been that when I get email from a Greek translation mailing list, sometimes the Greek comes through and sometimes it is garbage. For some work I'm doing, I decided to keep locale-specific artwork on a server and download

the required stuff into persistant storage. I guess this is more like theming or branding than localization but

if you can't do everything with text strings and don't want to waste a lot of local space, it could be an option.

Personally, I'd like to know how to get my email to be readable regardless of the type of Greek system being

sent.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
manleon

marchywka wrote:

For some work I'm doing, I decided to keep locale-specific artwork on a server and download

the required stuff into persistant storage. I guess this is more like theming or branding than localization but

if you can't do everything with text strings and don't want to waste a lot of local space, it could be an option.

First of all thanks for your response.

I didnt get what you were trying to tell when keeping the locale specific work on server. Actually when you have to display some thing on the the web page in some specific language, as far as i know, it has to be supported by charsets on the client side. So I am wondering (because i dont know how that could be done) what type of handling is done on server with the data that is to be displayed on the browser.

One, very un-ideal, solution is to convert the display type data(like reports in regional languages) into images rather than html strings(pathetic but a solution), but then what about input.

Anyways that would be requirement specific but in general we do require support for various languages or atleast we require methodology through which a language support is customizable. I dont doubt blackberry system capabilities but the only thing could that be done and if yes how.

Thanks again.

And ya urgent responses are welcomed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Certainly, I am very much in favor of not turning text into images but if you need more complete localization

than changing a few strings it is something to consider ( now that I am waiting for this html editor on each key stroke, I remember why computers were suppoed to process TEXT, not art. LOL).

Anyway, there was a similar concern expressed regarding Japanese support here,

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8100&message.id=2985

fwiw.

I guess I would like to be able to programtically download fonts in response to locale requests but you

would think the normal locale would already be supported. I'd like to be able to read my Greek translation

e-mails too or decide that an app needs to support Cyrillic for some reason and download and later even

purge fonts.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
manleon

Thanks for the link.

As such I have seen the link before and that was the place from where i got the idea that support for language is customizable. But again the thing is, these cod files are compressed application code. something similar to byte code. Now like some one in indonesia developed the cjk package with cod files.

How do we generate these cod files for fonts, if we cant get it.

Thanks for your response again. And as in case of greek, language support is pre installed for certain type of greek char set(if I am not wrong). But for indian languages no support is available. So that makes the task even more difficult.

@All :- More responses will be welcomed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
marchywka

Well, you could make bitmaps for each character and fake it but in java that would be quite expensive. I tried

to look for a font editor on google and there is a commercial product for blackberry,

http://blackberry-font-editor.qarchive.org/

but you can check the file specs and see if you can manually roll-your-own font code.

While this may sound rather tedious, if you have images of your characters, you can probably

write a j2se code generator to read the fonts from arbitrary images, extract the bitmap and write

the required j2me files.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

[ Edited ]
maybe if your database is set in UTF-8 charset, and same for input to that database, and if you serve webpages with UTF-8 explicitly slected in the DOCTYPE, it may be better ?
Message Edited by Xandrex on 08-04-2008 01:04 PM

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vijayender
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: vodafone

Hi i was searching for the same problem but today i got it on the jagbani website. they posted the full steps on their sites here http://www.jagbani.com/news/jagbani_47803/ but in punjabi language so follow these steps and you will get the punjabi language in balck berry like me...

Please use plain text.