Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
hollywood_puppet
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

Ripple Chrome Plugin, Ripple Standalone

[ Edited ]
For OS 7 and older (i.e. not the 10 beta), has*anyone* been able to successfully use *any* version of Ripple (plugin or standalone) to accomplish *all* of these tasks: 

1) package,
2) sign,
3) launch,
4) test the app in a simulator?  

I"ve tested the following:

Windows XP, SP3:
  • Ripple standalone = Fails to start up, blank window.
  • Ripple Chrome plugin (Chrome 21) = Fails in packaging, signing, and launching functions.  Can only use 'webmode' testing, where Ripple emulates the BB browser.  Always shows the "Error attempting to get simulators :smileysad:" message in the 'settings' panel.
OSX 10.7:
  • Ripple standalone = Succeeded starting up first time.  Succeeded in packaging and signing with WebWorksSDK + certs, failed to launch app.  Ripple failed to start up after 1st time (fatal exception).
  • Ripple Chrome plugin (Chrome 21) = Same results as in XP.
Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Ripple Chrome Plugin, Ripple Standalone

Yes.

Note: developers are encouraged to focus on the Ripple extension for Chrome and stop using the standalone app. That will be phased out overtime with all resources dedicated to improving the extension instead.

Let's break down some of the issues you have reported for Ripple Chrome plugin (Chrome 21) 

>> Fails in packaging, signing, and launching functions.  

Do you have the latest version of the WebWorks SDK for *Smartphones*?  Note when you change platforms in Ripple, you must also change the SDK Path in the settings window to match the version of the SDK for the given platform.  Currently the latest version of the Smartphone SDK is 2.3.1.15 and can be downloaded here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/download/sdk

If you do have this installed, can you confirm whether you can build your app from the command line?  Open a command prompt, navigate to the location of bbwp.exe and try to build your app (have to manually ZIP your appilcation resources and provide its full path to bbwp.exe).  If this generates an error, I would guess it has something to do with the version of Java running on your system (must be 32 bit version 1.6).  If it does not generate an error, it may  have something to do with system permissions?

>> Can only use 'webmode' testing, where Ripple emulates the BB browser.  

So Ripple does not let you change platforms?  Or your app does not run when you do change from "Mobile Web" to something like WebWorks or WebWorks-Tablet OS?  Can you describe in detail what problem you are seeing?

>> Always shows the "Error attempting to get simulators :smileysad:" message in the 'settings' panel.

Can you please report this issue here:

https://github.com/blackberry/Ripple-UI/issues?direction=desc&sort=created&state=open

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hollywood_puppet

Hi, thanks Adam.  In the install.properties in the webworks SDK, it indicates we are running 2.3.1.5.  We just downloaded and installed it this weekend - has it been updated since then to 2.3.1.15?

Yes, I was able to build and sign the application correctly using this Webworks SDK (I have Java 1.6 32-bit installed).

Regarding what I meant by 'webmode' testing is that I can point the browser to our Worklight server (serving up a web version of the app).  I assume (from the info displayed in the Ripple plugin) that it is emulating a BB webkit browser, with the BB browser User-Agent, etc.

A question - is this in fact the extent of what Ripple does?  (i.e. just a web browser emulator).  Or, does it actually emulate the BB hardware, where you deploy the application and it runs on the device?  My understanding is not very clear.

The 'Error attempting to get simulators' message shows up only when I type in an SDK path.  I use the path where the bbwp.exe is located - is this correct?    The simulators are actually under the \simpack subdirectory relative to the root simulator path.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

You are correct, its 2.3.1.5, not v2.3.1.15 that was a typo on my part.

Ripple is designed to emulate certain features of the device software, including some software, data and hardware features.

For example, the geolocation and accelerometer panels in Ripple allow you to emulate physical characteristics of the device.

Depending on which platform you have activated, Ripple also allows you to emulate device specific features, such as the BlackBerry WebWorks APIs.  For example, load the following page in Ripple, and enable the "WebWorks" platform:

http://blackberry.github.com/WebWorks-Samples/kitchenSink/html/apis/system.html

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hollywood_puppet

Btw, I have submitted the 'Error attempting to get simulators' issue to Github as requested.

Dan from tinyhippos is helping me out - they've just released an update to the Chrome Ripple plugin to automatically start the services needed for build/sign/package to work.

https://github.com/blackberry/Ripple-UI/issues/489

Please use plain text.
Developer
The_Anomaly
My Device: Dev Alpha / Playbook / Curve 9300

Ripple is going from bad to worse!

1) I am running ripple in chrome as we've been told to do.  HOWEVER the previous version (Ripple 0.9.4.1) would not package and deploy my app.  ie: I want to package and then see it on the device.  I thought it was my code but later discovered that it was NOT packaging the debug token into the app!  How - by using the Blackberry Tablet Graphical Aid Tool.  If I package and sign and then install the app with the Blackberry Tablet Graphical Aid Tool my app works fine.

2) Ripple does NOT give any errors when I package and deploy BUT the graphical aid tool gives a very descript error - I don't understand why the basic functionality thats in the graphical aid tool is not in ripple.

3) the NEW version of ripple (Ripple 0.9.8) along with the new SDK (1.0.1.8) still does not package and deploy AND now it doesn't package and sign either!  Package and sign generates the zip file and no bar file.  I'm assuming there were no errors because ripple says "build successful"

So now I'm stuck because the standalone ripple which actually works, doesn't handle BB10's new webworks.js and SDK, and the new ripple doesn't do anything except emulate.

If it helped you, click like. :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.