Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
AndreaCammarata
My Device: Z10 and Q10
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Ripple Package error - java.lang.NullPointerException

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm facing an issue trying to package by BB10 app using the ripple plugin and I'm having hard time trying to figure out what the problem is since the error description is really generic as you can see from the log.

out: [BUILD]   Populating application source

2013-09-10 15:01:27 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
2013-09-10 15:01:27 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
2013-09-10 15:01:28 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
2013-09-10 15:01:28 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
2013-09-10 15:01:29 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
2013-09-10 15:01:29 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
out: [BUILD]   Parsing config.xml

out: [WARN]    You have disabled all web security in this WebWorks application

out: [WARN]    Build ID set in config.xml [version], but no signing password was provided [-g]. Bar will be unsigned

out: [BUILD]   Generating output files

2013-09-10 15:01:30 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
out: [INFO]    java.lang.NullPointerException

out: [INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.Asset.setSourcePath(Asset.java:88)	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.Asset.(Asset.java:75)	at com.qnx.bbt.xml.BbtExtensionXml.getAsset(BbtExtensionXml.java:571)	at com.qnx.bbt.xml.BbtExtensionXml.getAssets(BbtExtensionXml.java:541)	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.BbtBarValueProvider.getAssets(BbtBarValueProvider.java:202)	at com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.getAssets(BARPackager.java:71)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.findAsset(BARPackager.java:233)	at com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.associateSourceAssets(BARPackager.java:227)	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.parseDescriptorAndCreateBarManifest(AbstractPackager.java:577)

out: [INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.doRun(AbstractPackager.java:238)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.runPackager(AbstractPackager.java:164)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.nativepackager.BarNativePackager.main(BarNativePackager.java:61)

out: [ERROR]   Error: null

out: [ERROR]   Native Packager exception occurred

2013-09-10 15:01:30 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
2013-09-10 15:01:31 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200
out: [INFO]    java.lang.NullPointerException
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.Asset.setSourcePath(Asset.java:88)	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.Asset.(Asset.java:75)	at com.qnx.bbt.xml.BbtExtensionXml.getAsset(BbtExtensionXml.java:571)

out: [INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.xml.BbtExtensionXml.getAssets(BbtExtensionXml.java:541)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.BbtBarValueProvider.getAssets(BbtBarValueProvider.java:202)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.getAssets(BARPackager.java:71)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.findAsset(BARPackager.java:233)

out: [INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.associateSourceAssets(BARPackager.java:227)
[INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.parseDescriptorAndCreateBarManifest(AbstractPackager.java:577)

out: [INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.doRun(AbstractPackager.java:238)	at com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.runPackager(AbstractPackager.java:164)

out: [INFO]    	at com.qnx.bbt.nativepackager.BarNativePackager.main(BarNativePackager.java:61)

out: [ERROR]   Error: null

out: [ERROR]   Native Packager exception occurred

Done build
error response - {"code":1,"msg":"[ERROR]   Error: null\n[ERROR]   Native Packager exception occurred\n[INFO]    java.lang.NullPointerException\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.packager.Asset.setSourcePath(Asset.java:88)\tat com.qnx.bbt.packager.Asset.(Asset.java:75)\tat com.qnx.bbt.xml.BbtExtensionXml.getAsset(BbtExtensionXml.java:571)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.xml.BbtExtensionXml.getAssets(BbtExtensionXml.java:541)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.packager.BbtBarValueProvider.getAssets(BbtBarValueProvider.java:202)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.getAssets(BARPackager.java:71)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.findAsset(BARPackager.java:233)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.bar.BARPackager.associateSourceAssets(BARPackager.java:227)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.parseDescriptorAndCreateBarManifest(AbstractPackager.java:577)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.doRun(AbstractPackager.java:238)\tat com.qnx.bbt.packager.AbstractPackager.runPackager(AbstractPackager.java:164)\n[INFO]    \tat com.qnx.bbt.nativepackager.BarNativePackager.main(BarNativePackager.java:61)\n[ERROR]   Error: null\n[ERROR]   Native Packager exception occurred\n","data":null}
2013-09-10 15:01:31 GET /ripple/build_status/5084 200

I tried different solutions but nothing changed. Do you have any idea that could help me to at least identify the cause of this error?

Thank you guys

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
imre_m
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Q10

Re: Ripple Package error - java.lang.NullPointerException

Hi,

Did you try to package your project from the command line, using bbwp?

The latest WebWorks SDK should not be affected, but for an older version I had to downgrade Java to 1.6 and move the installation directory to a path without spaces.

--
If you find this post useful please Like it.
If it solves your problem please mark as solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AndreaCammarata

[ Edited ]

Hi,

first of all, thank you for your answer! Yes, I've tried to package the app directly with bbwp but the error persist. Following your suggestion I've also tried to rename the folder removing all the spaces, but for some reason I still get the same error.
I'm using java "1.6.0_51", while the WebWorks SDK version is 1.0.4.11.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AndreaCammarata

Any other suggestion / solution guys?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
twindsor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Make sure that you don't have your own app source in a directory named "src". The packager tries to extract the zip file into that folder before building.

Tim Windsor
Application Development Advisor II
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Bacce
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Nope

Occam's razor: check your code for one of these:

-        Attempting to invoke an instance method of a null object
-        Attempting to access or modify a particular field of a null object
-        Attempting to obtain the length of such null object as an array

Maybe something what let the program run, but stops the compiler.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
AndreaCammarata

Thank you for all your replies guys.

However, it seems to be something messed up on my machine because, packaging the same app on another laptop, completed without any problems.

Please use plain text.