Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
shnuffy
My Device: Bold 9700
Accepted Solution

Ripple can't build Playbook app: The system cannot find the path specified.

[ Edited ]

Not a huge surprise here, but I tried to compile my app for Playbook in Ripple. After following all the steps downloading all SDKs, getting and registering new keys, having all the folders in place, etc. Ripple simply fails with:

Oh Snap! Build request failed with message: The system cannot find the path specified.

No rhyme or reason. No way to detect what it's referring to. Ripple is dangerously bad sometimes. And the "Oh Snap!" part is painfully annoying.

I was able to build the app via command line (which requires you to make a .zip of everything manually... *sigh*).

Anybody know how this is possible to debug?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Ripple can't build Playbook app: The system cannot find the path specified.

Hi shnuffy,

Can you post the values you have in Ripple's Settings... dialog? (Accessible from the wrench in the top-right corner.)

These would be things like Project Root, Output Folder, etc.

Erik Oros

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer
shnuffy

[ Edited ]

Hi Oros,

SDK Path:C:\BBWP\tablet\bbwp (this is where I installed the WebWorks for Tablets SDK)

Project Root: C:\xampp\htdocs\myApp

Archive Name:myApp

Output Folder:C:\builds_playbook

Note that Ripple does package my app, but can't build it or sign it.

I've verfied these folders by copy and pasting them from Windows Explorer as to eliminate any typos I might have been missing. I also tried C:\BBWP\tablet\bbwp\webworks-tablet-sdk in case that was the real SDK folder, but no luck. Tried adding trailing slashes to each folder, no luck. My only thought is that C:\BBWP is my smartphone SDK... but I don't see how Ripple would care if I provide it with the correct tablet SDK root. 

oros

[ Edited ]

Hi shnuffy,

Assuming tablet is the installation folder that includes both bbwp and jre, you'll want your SDK Path pointing there. Example:

C:\BBWP\tablet

For Instance, my Tablet SDK is installed to this folder which is used in my SDK Path:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS 2.2.0.5

Note that I'm assuming your path is referencing the folder that contains bbwp.exe, but you actually want to point one folder-level higher than that.

The remaining paths looks fine. Can you give that a try and confirm whether you still see issues?

Erik Oros

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Developer
shnuffy

Thanks for the reply. You're right about my folder structure, I should have tried this before. I'll let you know but I suspect you are correct.

Also, can I directly request that Ripple include the problematic path in it's error message so at least we know where to start?

Developer
shnuffy

Works now, thanks.

New Contributor
lekofev
My Device: i dont use

jeje, i have the same problem, but i can fix it : D thank you.
The tutorial in webworks are pointing to :
Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK <version>

and the right is

Windows 7: C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry WebWorks SDK for TabletOS <version>
oros

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

It's great feedback and I completely agree. Our WebWorks devs are looking at bringing more meaningful messages (and eliminating scenarios such as this.) I will forward this along to them though so that they know it is something that needs to be addressed.

In the case of WebWorks SDK vs. WebWorks SDK for TabletOS, this would likely be the documentation referencing the Smartphone vs. PlayBook SDKs.

EDIT: In any event, I'm glad to hear you both managed to get this resolved!