Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
deweydb
My Device: Devloper
My Carrier: Wind

Ripple not correctly sending User Agent strings?

Hi,

I just grabbed the latest version fo ripple for Mac OSX and installed it, had no problems installing, and it seems to be what would be a really great tool for mobile web development for blackberry.  Only one problem.  It doesn't properly send the user agent strings, so I'm not getting any webservers sending me the mobile version of the websites with their mobile detects.

Just to be sure this wasn't my own fault, I tried visiting several sites that I knwo have mobile detects, and none of them served up the correct page.  They all gave me the full site.

examples:

google.com

facebook.com

twitter.com

etc.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
inawire
My Device: Bold 9700/9900 - Playbook v2.0.xxx
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Ripple not correctly sending User Agent strings?

It's a bug.

More here.

https://github.com/blackberry/Ripple-UI/issues/50

Fix is scheduled for the next beta though there is no activity (commits) on the Ripple GitHub sites so who knows. They are not even closing milestones that have been released (Beta 1 Refresh - Past due by 2 months, but was released).

Ross

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
deweydb
My Device: Devloper
My Carrier: Wind

Yeah, i saw those issues, but it sounded like they were talking about something slightly different.  What it appears like though, is that this ripple client doesn't actually do anything to handle the HTML/javascript differently like the phones would, and simply tries to squeeze the default chrome output into a smaller screen viewport.  If this is the case, ripple is completely useless.  I'll just stick with the blackberry simulators and use Weinre to get a webkit like developer window.

Maybe i'll check back  in a few months, but what it sounds like to me is that blackberry has released a completely buggy and wholy useless piece of software.  It's moves like this that make developers want to move to another platform.

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to start refusing to make my websites blackberry compatible from now on, unless ripple gets fixed soon.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
inawire
My Device: Bold 9700/9900 - Playbook v2.0.xxx
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

I actualy love Ripple but I'm using it to test my webworks apps, not looking at other sites.

In most cases, would it not be the 'site' that would detect the 'user agant' and send a mobile site rather than a 'desk top' version.

www.berryreview.com is a good example. On a real playbook you get a Beta version of the site that is different than the desktop version. In Ripple (using the playbook layout), it shows the desktop version.

If Ripple is not sending the right user agent then the site that is sending back the HTML will default to the desktop version.

The trend is to get away from 'browser sniffing' (i.e. user agent) and to use CSS media tags for Responsive Web Design' (I'm still playing with this) but from what I've seen most site actually redirect you to a mobi URL when I surf from a phone (as detected by user agent).

Ripple has solved most of my development issues (especially with WebDB work on the phone) . I just wish they they would be more open on progress, timelines, and bug fixes. Seeing that this is an open source, GitHub project. Why not use GitHub to keep us in the loop.

Please use plain text.