Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: SMS Listener not working

We've loaded up your sample code onto the same device model with the same OS version number and we are able to receive multiple SMS messages.

I'm wondering if there is some sort of issue with message size or special characters that you're running into.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
Developer
johnbibs
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

Hi Tim,

Using SDK 2.1.1 did the trick. we were able to capture SMS messages from other mobile numbers except for the Operator Generated Messages. LIke for example, SMS replies when you try to register something via short code(i.e. 2222). Or inquiring balance by sending a keyword to the operator (i.e. 211) then operator will reply your remaining balance. We tried this using  Java and it was able to capture even the Operator Generated messages but not using webworks.

One thing we noticed is that the SMS API of webworks uses DatagramConnection while the Java SMS listener we created and works uses MessageConnection.

What we are doing now is modifying the SMS API to use MessageConnection instead of DatagramConnection. Is there a specific reason why webworks SMS API uses DatagramConnectino instead of MessageConnection?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
tneil

That's interesting.. I couldn't tell you for sure why DatagramConnection was used instead of MessageConnection.

When you modify the SMS API to use the new MessageConnection, would you consider possibly contributing it back to the WebWorks Open Source project?

It would require signing a contributor agreement and then performing a pull request from your code on github.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
tneil

From some early talks, it sounds like the use of DatagramConnection vs MessageConnection may have something to do with CDMA vs GSM and the way that text messages are received 

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.