Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

SMS delimiter

We are using a webapp to call an SMS to mulitple contacts.  What should we use as a delimiter for the contacts, we have tried have tried formatting the numbers using a comma, semi-colon, space, plus sign, and none work properly. (each number 10 digits long).  I have also tried MMS, which throws the error “unable to open”. 

This is my syntax: '<a href="sms: ' + '6028184464,6023236861"' + '" class="ui-icon-nodisc" data-role="button" data-iconshadow="false" data-inline="true" data-icon="contacts-sms">SMS</a>' +

Using a coma as the delimiter works when testing the same webapp on an android.

Thank you,

Z10/Q10

BES 10.1.1

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: SMS delimiter

Hi there,

Based on the specification, the appropriate delimiter should be a comma between the numbers for multiple recipients. Long-version of the spec:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5724

We've raised an investigation with our team to ensure that the SMS application itself accepts this type of input. I will let you know what we find.

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Retired

I just confired on my 10.2 build that a multi-chat SMS conversation is being started with the following:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
	<head>
		<title>SMS Test</title>
	</head>
	<body>
		<a style="font-size: 48px;" href="sms:+15105550101,+15105550102">Launch SMS</a>
	</body>
</html

Can you please confirm your full device OS version?

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi Oros,

The Device builds we have tested on are:  10.1.0.2039 (Z10 on Verizon)  and 10.1.0.1720 (Z10 on T-Mobile).  Using the syntax href="sms:+xxxxxxxxxx, +xxxxxxxxxx" did not work on those builds.  T-Mobile relased an update yesterday to 10.1.0.4200, but we have yet to test it.  Would it be possible for you to test a lower build, as we do not have access to 10.2?

Thank you,

Marissa

Retired

Sure thing. I will load up a Z10 with those builds in the morning (when the device gatekeeper is in) Smiley Happy And will let you know what I find. Cheers!

Retired

Hello Marissa,

I've been speaking with our development teams and this may be impacted by a SIM Card provisioning issue; depending on whether your carrier has enabled multi-person SMS or even supports multi-person SMS. While it looks like there is more to this (details below), one thing to double-check is that your SIM is provisioned to support multi-person SMS / group chat.

Upon two separate tests on similar 10.2 builds:

1) Device A (Rogers) did not have group chat available.

2) Device B (Bell) did have group chat available.

Group chat refers to the ability to send an SMS to multiple people, and responses by participants will also be delivered to all involved.

Swapping SIM Cards between the devices also switched the group chat availability. Specifically Device A now had access to the feature and Device B did not.

Loading up a device with 10.1.0.1720 and the Bell SIM Card resulted in one contact being set with both numbers. Example:

+15105550101,+15105550102

As opposed to two separate contacts, each with one of the phone numbers.

Upon sending a text, only the first number in the list received the SMS. This was tested by reversing the numbers in the href and again only the first number in the list received the SMS. A response to the SMS was only sent to the initiating (original) device.

So it seems that the SMS application itself isn't handling multi-person SMS / group chat invocation properly on 10.1, but it has been fixed on 10.2. And on 10.2, it depends on the SIM Card / carrier provisioning.

Retired

One last note, updating to 10.1.0.4181 (newest available for my device / carrier), the SMS application behaves the same as the previous 10.1. It appears that 10.2 is the earliest environment with the fix.