Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
pdred
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Same model Blackberry's, different handling of CommandButtons

Hi BB Community,

I'm developing a mobile version of a piece of software for my company and I've run into a strange problem that I can't seem to find the cause of.

The website/application uses JSF and IceFaces (v 1.7.0) extensively and most things work as intended. Through research I've found out that our current version of IceFaces means that I won't be able to use CommandLinks, which is fine. However, the behaviour of CommandButtons are not consistent across devices.

For example, I have a command button to perform a log in.

<ice:commandButton action="#{logonBean.doLogin}" id="login"image="/images/loginbtn.png" styleClass="buttonLogin" />

When using my boss' BB (8900, v4.6.1.101) this button works as intended. However, when using my BB (8900, v4.6.1.206) and two simulators (a 8900, v4.6.1.199, Simulator v 2.11.0.151 and a 9000, v4.6.0.212, Simulator v 2.11.0.123) the action is executed but the browser does not automatically forward to the home page. If I bring up the menu and hit 'Refresh' the page reloads and brings up the home page.

I have confirmed that the functionality operates correctly on other browsers (IE, FF, Chrome, etc). 

What would be causing this strange behaviour, and what is the best way of fixing it?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Michael 

Please use plain text.
New Developer
pdred

Re: Same model Blackberry's, different handling of CommandButtons

Forgot to mention: in all four cases I am using the Blackberry Browser.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
pdred

Re: Same model Blackberry's, different handling of CommandButtons [SOLVED]

I've managed to solve this problem:

It seems that certain BB browsers/OS' don't handle the JSF lifecycle completely correctly. What was happening when my commandButton's were being pressed was that everything was being executed (server sends, receives, etc), but the lifecycle was not being restarted. Due to this, no changes or new pages were being rendered.

The solution to my problem was to force the lifecycle to be executed again using the <redirect /> tag in my login and logout navigation rules. Whilst this does have some performance disadvantages, having a page actually load/work far outweighs it.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Regards,

Michael

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: Same model Blackberry's, different handling of CommandButtons

thanks a lot for your feedback. it's that kind of contribution that gives the whole value to this community forum. have a nice day.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.