Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha & PlayBook
My Carrier: wifi

Selling Audio Files Within App

I have application that lets users listen to free songs. I want to add a feature that allows users to buy additional songs.

I was looking at this page ... http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/20374/Hosting_your_virtual_goods_1254378_11.js...

Which says "You can distribute digital goods either by sending data files over the wireless network from your own server, or by unlocking existing functionality from within the application's code. "

I don't want to use the option of packaging the download packs within the original application because song packs of 10-20 songs will add a lot to the size of the application.

Can anyone link to to any useful instructions on how I could have the mp3 packages downloaded to my app and be able to be used when the user is offline?

Re: Selling Audio Files Within App

One idea I have to dynamically write a HTML5 App Cache based on which download packs the user has purchased.

So the free songs would be included in the app itself and the downloaded songs would be linked to from my server but also included in the HTML5 Cache so they could be used offline. I'm not sure that would be the best solution though.

Let me know what you think.

My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Hi. Why you want to use HTML5 cache? You could also download the purchased files to the app folder and store directly in there using the fileTransfer API, isn't it?

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.
Developer

HTML5 cache was the only thing I could think of.

I don't know anything about using the app folder of the fileTransfer API but I'm going to look into it now.

Thanks!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook 16GB, BB10 LE Z10 (red)
My Carrier: none

Do not know which of the BB OSs your app is for, but I here are the starting points for all of them when using remote file transfers:

On a customer project I used the FileDownload API for PB OS and also tried the BB10 OS APIs days ago and to it is working. I think there could be some improvements, like the progress for download, but to only download it is working so far.

"Like" if you liked the post.
"Accept as Solution" if the post solves your question.