Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
Theobald
My Device: Not Specified

Sending a wml/htm page or at least a bookmark via Bluetooth

Hi all,

I need to send a wml/htm page or at least a bookmark via Bluetooth to BlackBerrys.

If I send a wml/htm page, it can be stored and executed on the BlackBerry but apparently it is displayed in a kind of text reader but not in the browser - so, in consequence I can't follow links on the page to online URLs.

The question is: How can I manage that the wml/htm page is displayed in the browser?

Alternativly, I wondered if I could send via Bluetooth a Boomark to an webpage, which is stored on an online ressource. If so, in which file format would I have to send the Bookmark?

Many thanks 

Theobald

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Sending a wml/htm page or at least a bookmark via Bluetooth

It is not possible to programmatically add or modify a user's bookmarks, so that isn't an option.

You can store a page locally on the BlackBerry and display it to the user.  Here are a few links on displaying HTML content.

How To - Invoke the default browser
Article Number: DB-00010

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800440/How_To_...

How To - Invoke the browser with raw HTML
Article Number: DB-00573

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800332/800440/How_To_...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Theobald

Many thanks for this information.

I'm not sure if I got it right: Do I need to insert some of this code into the wml/html file (which I send via Bluetooth to the Blackberry) or do I need to insert the wml/html code into a new file according the mentioned syntax (and send this one via Bluetooth to the Blackberry)?

BTW: Does it matter where on the Blackberry I save the file

Best regards

Theobald

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

These are code samples where a Java application can launch the browser to a specific URL or raw page contents.

If you are looking to load a local page from within the browser you can use a local path.  Here is an example of a URL that can pull a page from a micro SD card.

file:///SDCard/yourDirectory/yourFile.html
Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
SChamp

MSohm wrote:

It is not possible to programmatically add or modify a user's bookmarks

Is it possible to read a user's bookmarks, perhaps using something in the BlackBerry Java API for this?

Not as if to change the topic, but to explain my question: I would like to be able to transfer my bookmarks from my blackberry to my laptop, automatically, though I'm not sure how much work this would require.

While digging around, briefly, in the BlackBerry Java API docs, I didn't see anything that would stand out, for it, so perhaps I can only hope there's a way to do it -- that is, without trying to crack into any of a blackberry's databases, such that I'm certain wouldn't be either easy or succesful.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

SChamp wrote:

MSohm wrote:

I would like to be able to transfer my bookmarks from my blackberry to my laptop, automatically, though I'm not sure how much work this would require.

Manual way :
using the desktop manager, export the "Browser bookmarks" database to your PC. It is a binary file, but URLs are nearly in simple text so it should not be too hard on your PC to make a vb script or a perl script to cut all that out and make a simple csv file of your bookmarks.

the other way is to develop a Java Application to do that.

the other way is to not use the BlackBerry browser Bookmarks, but use a third party tool that will store your bookmarks online (there are some drawbacks, in particular the default browser for each bookmark cannot be saved that way).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Developer
SChamp

I would like to develop a Java application for it, in fact.

I'm not sure what control-codes there would be, in the database contents, such that I could be missing the significance of (e.g. for marking which folder a bookmark is in) if I was to manually parse the database. The structure of my bookmarks list is generally significant for making sense of the contents (e.g. for project-related bookmarks)

There is an issue, though, in that I'm not sure where all of the API docs are, or where I should look in the class structure, to find such methods as would permit access to the browser's bookmarks, on the device.

I've found some sort of API docs, through google, but I don't know where they were referred from, at blackberry.com, nor how applicable they would be for BB OS 4.3.

Of course, there's also the concern of which JDE to use. I think that that would be incidental to the fact that I don't know where to start, though, as far as class method invocations for this bookmark-exporter project. I mean, that's just how it is, as I see it.

In commentary about the IDE issue, though: I really prefer using Eclipse, namely for all of the special plug-ins availble for it (e.g Mylyn connectors, SCCM plugins, Maven support, UML and other diagramming support, of some kind, such that I haven't yet been able to fully investigate, though I've thought it looks intriguing). So, I like using Eclipse, but I've read that current verions of the BlackBerry Eclipse JDE plugins would be less than ideal [1] if used as a sole basis of a BlackBerry development platform. It looks like I'll have stay Windows-centric, then, insofar as developing Java apps for a BlackBerry platform. I consider that that would be moderately doable, if i just knew where that I could start, for this project.

Of course, there is yet another issue. After upgrading my Sprint 8330 BBerry from OS 4.3 to OS 4.5, the thing can no longer synchronize with DesktopManager on my Vista OS installation. Connecting it to a Linux computer, the Barry tools are able to read some information from the device, but it looks like Barry can't back it up either. I'm very reluctant to have to deal with Sprint's iffy so-called "customer service", on this issue, but that may be the only available option, at this time.

This project is beginning to seem rather issue-prone, honestly, and here it's not even out of the research/investigation stage. I guess that the BlackBerry platform works pretty solidly for a lot of people, though.

Please use plain text.