Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
lawillas
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Globacom

Server polling / Push notification like system

Hi guys,

After sucessfully building my first real world app using the blackberry webworks and the bbui.js framework, i've set out to build my second app. The second app is supposed to act as a messaging system sort of between a server and the blackberry application. Here's a typical example of what happens in the app. I have for instance, 5 users registered and logged in via the app. I log in to my web application, select 3 out of the 5 users and type out a message and click a submit button. The message should be received and displayed by these 3 users on their smartphones. 

I'm sure by now everyone is thinking that Push Notifications should do it for me but i'm not quite sure yet because I have the following concerns.

1. While developing my first application, I was able to successfully test the push notification by sending messages to all devices that were subscribed and it worked but I noticed that it would suddenly unregister from the push service and i'll need to manually click on my register menu each time to reregister the device. I can't rely on such solution because of the unregister issue. Would be glad to hear that this doesn't happen again.

2. Also if case 1 has been fixed, what is the maximum number of messages I can push because its going to be a lot of messages as the app is going to be used by a lot of users.

Please can someone give me some advice on how to go about this. What options I have. Would really like to get started on this. Thanks in advance

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
oros
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Server polling / Push notification like system

Hi there,

The push service is definitely the best approach here; it will offer a number of efficiency improvements in comparison to a polling approach.

Regarding #1, once you register, you should remain registered indefinitely unless you explicitly unregister. Would it be possible to provide a basic, Hello World sample that demonstrates the issue? If you are able to reproduce the issue consistently, this should be logged as a bug:

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

For #2, you can find information on push limits here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/develop/platform_services/push_features.html

Erik Oros | @WaterlooErik | eoros@blackberry.com | Developer Issue Tracker

If a reply has answered your question, please click Accept as Solution to help other visitors in the future.
Please use plain text.