Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Some Cool UI Examples

You can find a Lab here:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/devbetasoftware/Lab_Widget_Extension.zip

And an instructional video here:

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=WritingJavaScriptExtensions

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor
My Device: all
My Carrier: stc

Ok thanks ,,

wanna ask I I use great  UIexample in "input.htm"  there is a spinner to select city when I write city in othere language lets say Arabic  I face encouding problem what should I do ?

Contributor
My Device: all
My Carrier: stc

PlZ wait your answer it is urgint ;'(

Contributor
My Device: Tour
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

these ui compnents are great looking, but i must be missing something really elemental here.

how can this become a dynamic app, i mean, for this to be useful, dosn't htere have to be .jsp files

and not html files for the widgets

how would i iterate over list of returned rows from a DB query for example?

are there any examples of doing this?

i am at a place where i have been asked to write a bb app, and i just assumed the only

way was with the typical bb application   i.e. rmi api (rim components)

but then i came across this thread and was really impressed and wonder if

I should use this widget stuff. i watched a few videos about packaging and the one

about "Features of BlackBerry Widgets" but don't get the practicality without the dynamic part

someone give me an example or link to read/watch  regarding

thanks

Retired

Hi rfwalker,

All the logic in your application is written with JavaScript.  It is your language for processing data and manipulating the UI.  It is the exact same programming model for doing local processing and storage on a web page.

You do not need JSF, ASP.NET or other technologies to serve up dynamic content. Simply add your logic into your page via JavaScript to access the PIM data on the device, the file system, a local SQLite database etc.

You can find some samples and labs at the bottom of the following page:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/browserdev/widgetsdk.jsp

Picture yourself building a client application with a native language such as Java or C++, but instead you are using HTML, CSS for the UI and JavaScript for the coding language Smiley Happy

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

ok, i kinda get it, but as of now, with OS5, how would this compare to the componets offered via java/rim? I mean if I were deciding to create an app for my bb device, these UIs look amazing

and I would think I should go ahead an use widget technology instead of java component technology.

are there any obvious concerns I may be missing ?

I know there are tons of examples and books for the java/component method of creating an app,

which would be a negative for me going with widgets, cause i am dumb as rocks and need to learn by reading books and following examples.

Retired

You can create the same types of application UI's in OS5 as you can in Java and with much less effort.  There may be some very specific types of applications such as if you were wanting to build your own Media player from scratch where the widget technology wouldn't suit.

As far as resources are concerned, there are MANY more books on web development out there and leveraging JavaScript and DOM manipulation than you will find on mobile Java development.  If you are looking for lots of resources... HTML, CSS and JavaScript is where the bulk is.

Also, if you are already familiar with Web technologies, your experiences will translate nicely to widget development Smiley Happy

Cheers

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

by resources i mean books that use bb widget technology in applications, how to use the javascript api to do common things like communicating with backend services.

for example, beginning blackberry and advanced blackberry books have taken me from knowing nothing about blackberry programming to being somewhat dangerous.  i have been going through the examples that eclipse widget plugin points to, and trying to find as many examples as possible.

these widgets got great potential, but i am old school and have to learn be example, 

great work rim team! 

Developer
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: AT&T

Disclaimer, a bit of self promotion to follow here...

DevCon would be a great opportunity for you if you could make the trip (www.blackberrydevcon.com). I'll be leading a presentation that will cover some beginner as well as more advanced features of BlackBerry Widgets (COM01). The RIM team always have several good sessions as well.

Also, I'm early into it, but I am starting a blog about my experiences developing for BlackBerry which will predominately be focused on widgets. You can check it out at here .

If there is a specific topic or example you'd like to see, just drop me a private message and I'll see what I can do.

My Device: Not Specified

How to debug widget code...

[ Edited ]

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum so not sure if this is the right thread to ask my question. I started playing around with samples that tim put together on this thread, and they are extremely cool. Thanks Tim.

I can run these samples through Blackberry Simulator ( launched from Eclipse). I ma struggling on how to debug this code. I would like to place a breakpoint in Javascript code, and hope to step through the javascript function.

I tried putting some breakpoints inside javascript code in Eclipse, and then lanunched debug.. whcih opened the BB simulator, but did not break appropriately on starting the app.

Any help on how to accomplish this will be much appreciated

Thanks

Lead