Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Simulator - 9800
My Carrier: Simulator
Accepted Solution

Starting in the Background

The API doc states:

You can start the application from an icon and also run the background start page when the device starts and when the application is installed.

<content src="index.html" >
   <rim:background src="listener.html" runOnStartup="true" />
</content>

Does this mean that there will be a background process of listener.html that runs on startup, and the foreground content (the app itself) is based off of index.html? I'm confused by this tag, any explanation would be helpful.

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Starting in the Background

Correct.

listener.html would run on device start-up, when your app is launched it would launch index.html
--
Rory (@roryboy)
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

That's a good tag to know about. Where's the documentation on this held? I thought I'd read through everything related to this, but I guess I missed that.

Also, anyone know of a way to launch a particular thing at specific intervals, other than setting up a background like above, and having it run an interval?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Passport
My Carrier: Bell

There's documentation here: https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/ww_developing/rim_background_element_1265316...

This is only on the smartphone today, and this is the only way to make something autostart with WebWorks, but once you've done this, you can do whatever you want - run a timer or an extension. If you are going to extend something to make regular periodic events, you should look at RealtimeClockListener in the Java API.

Tim Windsor
Open Source Technical Lead