Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
mserina
My Device: BB 10 Dev Apha
Accepted Solution

Starting with BBM

[ Edited ]

Hi guys, I'm completely brand new to Blackberry development and I'm trying now to understand how BBM works on the latest BB10. I looked through a lot of documentation (webcasts as well) and I noticed you can do impressive things. As a first attempt,  I started focusing on a simple task such as sharing a link that is inside my app with BBM peers, but I ran into a couple of problems/doubts.

My reference SDK is Webworks and, as far as I understood, the first mandatory step is registering the app in the platform..unfortunately, as soon as it happens, the app goes idle showing the spinner. The code I implemented is exactly the same you can find in the Webworks API documentation examples:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/blackberry.bbm.platform.html

Another point is that I wasn't able to find any hook to the APIs that allows a user to share a link with his/her contacts, as my original purpose was intended..

Am I tryng to achieve something that is not foreseen?What is really meant when you call "shareContent" as described here: https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/apis/blackberry.bbm.platform.users.html#.shareContent

??

Thanks a lot for your time

Cheers

-marco

Contributor
mserina

Re: Starting with BBM

A brief update: I'm now able to start the registration process, but as soon as I'm "redirected" to the default Dev Alpha BBM application (in order to register myself as a BBM user) it gets stuck and nothing happens..

Thanks again for your time

.marco

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

What behaviour do you see when you open the BBM Client itself?  Below is a link to a BBM SP sample for WebWorks.

Note that you do have to register first if you use any of the BBM SP APIs.  However, if you use the invocation framework to invoke the BBM Client, bringing it into your app as a card you do not have to register.

BlackBerry 10 WebWorks BBM SP Sample

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Contributor
mserina

Hi Mark,

thanks for the samples..anyway, you are right, I needed to register myself in order to make the BBM app works..sorry for that since  I'm completely new to BB in general, but I was expecting, al least, to receive a warning complaining for a missing blackberry ID.. a never-ending spinner is not so intuitive..

Thanks for your time!

Cheers

-marco