Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
ingvar_e
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor
Accepted Solution

Stonewalled!

<rant>

I am running a setup with aWindows 7 (English, cant use Swedish, national characters in folder names).  Chrome, ripple, latest simulatotrs, VMWare, latest SDK.  to migrate a rather complex app from OS5 to OS10

- The VMWare simulator refuses to work. Posted problem earlier. No soluition so far.

- File download does not work. People say its broken. Have not found any alternative. 

- Tried to find how to make a phone call in the API documentation. Did not find it. Found an entry in the community to use

<input type="button" value="Call RIM"  

onclick="blackberry.launch.newPhoneCall({'dialString':'5198887465','smartDialing':false })" />

- Got  "blackberry undefined"

- Updated config with:  <feature id="blackberry.app" required="true" version="1.0.0.0"/>

Did not help.

Maybe try  to make some cc+ extensions to solve problems? Hm. No simple task. looking at the community effort on GIT.

Do I need the VMWare simulator? Seem like it. Cannot se how I could make a manula call on the ripple simulator.

Tired?  Very.  Frustrated?  Yes

</rant>

Any success?  Yes

I can send a request to a website and get an answer by using  "Workers", JSON objects and eventlisteners to

make it run in the background. But that is basically just HTML5/Javascript, nothing BB-specific. Workers+JSON is a very good platform to get things done in the background.

Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarattes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." Jake: "Hit it."

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
bryanhiggins
My Device: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Z3
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Stonewalled!

Hi,

Hopefully I can help out a bit :smileyhappy:

The phone app is disabled on the simulator. Unfortunately the only way to test a phone call is with a device. That said, there are two straight forward methods to make a call:

1) Create a link like this: <a href="tel:1234567890" >Call Me!</a>

2) window.location = "tel:1234556645";

You can also invoke the phone app, which has additional options. The docs you need are here:

http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/invocation/phone.html

http://developer.blackberry.com/html5/api/blackberry.invoke.html#.invoke^2

Sorry to hear you were having issues with file transfer as well. It should be working. I'll look out for your other thread. 

Bryan Higgins
BlackBerry WebWorks
@bryanhiggins
Please use plain text.
Developer
ingvar_e

So I get back to the API documentation to find what params to specify for the phone app. Not found for web works.

Then I check your second link and it points into documentation for  "Cascades"

As the pupil answered the professors question if he was still confused after having explained something for the third time

-  Are you still confused?

- Yes professor, but at a considerably higher level

It is late on Canary Islands, I am going to bed

-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.
bryanhiggins

Sorry for the confusion! The cascades docs are a bit more up to date in terms of invocation targets, but the information is applicable to webworks apps as well. I only posted those in case you need to do something fancy. Definitely use a tel URI if all you need to do is make a call.

Bryan Higgins
BlackBerry WebWorks
@bryanhiggins
Please use plain text.
Developer
ingvar_e

Bryan, thanks

Is this a specific case or are the API.s specified in Cascades generally available in web works too?

One of the actions that this app is to perform is to send a series of DTMF tones to a predfined number.  I have not come this far, I am still struggling with the very basics in Webwork.  I initially started out thinking the "Native" aproach was the one to choose but project managemant said that HTML5 was very interesting since this app is being developed on all major platform. HTML5 might be a good common denominator on all platforms. Maybe I have to go down the road of using the  Native extension platform and use the functionality available in "Native" but still keep the GUI in HTML5

-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.
bryanhiggins

I was specifically refering to the invocation framework. It is a service running on the platform which both WebWorks and cascades have access to. There are many native APIs which are not available in WebWorks and may never be since they interact with the device at a low level.

Good luck with your app! I'm not entirely sure that it is possible to send tones to a number. The first thing I would try is encoding it into the tel URI itself. It looks like "," signifies a pause. Here is the full RFC:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3966

Bryan Higgins
BlackBerry WebWorks
@bryanhiggins
Please use plain text.
Developer
ingvar_e

>Good luck with your app! I'm not entirely sure that it is possible to send tones to a number.

Thank you,

Can you be a bit more specific?

Not sending DTMF-tones to a PBX using Web Works or not sending DTMF-tones using   Native.

It is a vital part of the app

-Mario Andretti-
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
erikjohnzon
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Virgin

You will need to write a native extension to accomplish sending DTMF tones. We do not support this in WebWorks. You can find an example native extension under the community repo here:

https://github.com/blackberry/Core-Native-Community-Samples/tree/master/AudioLoopBackSample

As far as Phone documentation it is available here for WebWorks. These are new docs we put up a couple weeks ago:

https://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/phone.html

@erikjohnzon
erjohnson@blackberry.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
ingvar_e

>You can find an example native extension under the community repo here:

Thanks, that might open a door  :-)