Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
reumerd
My Device: 9900
Accepted Solution

Support for Hyphenated resources

I'm converting Web sites and Web Applications into widgets, but I've got many resources (images) using the '-' hyphen, as these are not supported by the WebWorks packager, I now need to rename all the hyphenated files, which costs me a lot of time.

would it be possible in the (near) future to support hyphenation or is their a technical /(some other) reason this will cause issues ?

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Support for Hyphenated resources

It is currently being worked on... There are so many combinations of command line packaging tools as well as on device limitations where there were different characters in file names that caused problems.  

Our decision at the time was to only support alphanumeric characters until we ran into use cases where these special characters were needed.

Hyphens have been identified as one of these use cases and will be added to the product.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
reumerd
My Device: 9900

Thanks Tim,

Now HTML5 is almost fully supported for BlackBerry smartphones and the PlayBook, I'm moving many of my development efforts over to the WebWorks. Starting of with a solid WebApp framework that works on any device and then using the WebWorks API's to give BlackBerry that edge.

p.s. I love that jQuerymobile, Phonegap and e.g. DoJo now just work on the BlackBerry platform (PlayBook).

Maybe not always fully used, but helps develop in the early stages.

I hope I'll find the time soon to write a small post on my blog on the Anatomy of a (great) WebApp and which components it should have.

Will not forget to inform you here too when it has been written.

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Retired
tneil

Very cool!!

Yes, we have a very strong effort going on to make sure that the full web just works.  And what you have mentioned about extending to use the capability of BlackBerry when needed is exactly as we would envision.

The web makes it so that you can take 80-90% of your application cross platform and then extend to take advantage of each platform's unique features to get you to the 100% mark

I look forward to reading your post :smileyhappy:

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
itp
Contributor
itp
My Device: Blackberry Curve

Hi,

I would like to know what is th best strategy for dealing with files with hyphens in Web works.  I tried creating a WebWorks application out of a jquery/jquery UI based site, and quickly ran up against a wall because of many file names with hyphens in the framework.  I spent a day renaming files and picking through the code for references to files with hyphens.  I see the same issue with jQuery UI and Sencha Touch frameworks.  Is this likely to be fixed in later versions of webworks tool?

thanks

itp

Retired
tneil

Are you using WebWorks 2.0.. there shouldn't be anymore issues with hyphens.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter