Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
mam2009
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Testing a web application using Blackberry Emulator, is it possible?

Hello everybody,

I have a small java web application running on Apache Tomcat on a local machine. It is running well on my PC, but it is targeted to Blackberry devices. Before I put into our web server, I want to test it on a Blackberry 8300 and 8900 emulators. Is that possible? I have developed this web application using Spring on Netbeans IDE, i.e. no Blackberry special tool.

I appreciate every hint and tip!

Thank you.

mazen.

New Developer
ttklf4

Re: Testing a web application using Blackberry Emulator, is it possible?

Hello,

I am not a Java developer but have you tried the Eclipse Plug-in?

New Developer
mam2009

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thank you for your reply..

I have installed the plug-in in Eclipse already, but my application is developed in NetBeans.

My question was whether one can open a given website (in my case a web application) using the Blackberry Emulator in an independent-way of the development process. That is, I have a url address ( localhost:8080/MyWebApplication/index.htm), can I anyway open this url using a Blackberry Emulator? I need to test how the Emulator reacts to the database connections in my machine.

Thanks again

Mazen

New Developer
ttklf4

mam2009 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your reply..

I have installed the plug-in in Eclipse already, but my application is developed in NetBeans.

My question was whether one can open a given website (in my case a web application) using the Blackberry Emulator in an independent-way of the development process. That is, I have a url address ( localhost:8080/MyWebApplication/index.htm), can I anyway open this url using a Blackberry Emulator? I need to test how the Emulator reacts to the database connections in my machine.

Thanks again

Mazen

I don't think so. Because the simulator only connects to localhost with the plug-in.

New Developer
mam2009

Thanks again for your reply,

I have made the Simulator working well but in another Tomcat installation and port than the running Eclipse-Tomcat-Blackberry Simulator. It is working ell, except that I have some JavaScript problems, though :-)

Thanks again

Mazen

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

You can also use the Eclipse plugin to debug any arbitrary URL, it doesn't have to be a website built in Eclipse..

Check out the following link for a walk through on how to use the tool.

http://www.blackberry.com/DevMediaLibrary/view.do?name=PluginforEclipse

And this should get you going on how to debug a remote web page:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/9328/Debug_remote_web_pages_723308_11.jsp

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter