Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
pbearne
My Device: Playbook OS

Testing webworks app on a tablet can it be done?

Hi all

I can find the instructions to run a tablet in debug mode and run a air app but not for webworks

I have beable to install a debug token using the AIR SDK but get a 500 BarFIleUnsignedError when I push a webworks app

the AIR instuctions tell you to add an authorID to blackberry-tablet.xml not A file I had edit before found one in bbwp\AirAppTemplates\src so have tried to edit that also tried add it to the  config.xml.

Anybody got an webworks app to load?

Anybode get any tips how get this to work?

Paul

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Testing webworks app on a tablet can it be done?

Unfortunately debug tokens and the WebWorks SDK do not play as nicely as possible right now.  The SDK is not adding Package-Author and Package-Author-Id fields to the blackberry-tablet.xml file when packaging your app.  The reason you are getting the BarFileUnsignedError is because these fields are missing.  These values are compared against those of your debug token, and validates your unsigned app to run on a signed OS (i.e. live device).  

As described in the documentation, there is a manual step necessary to add the Package-Author and Package-Author-Id fields to your blackberry-tablet.xml file (inside the BAR).

See the section "Configure your application for use with a debug token from the command line":

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/27280/Running_unsigned_apps_debug_tokens_15850...

A solution to this issue is being worked on, and should make its way into a future versions of the SDK, but no ETA is available right now.

Cheers,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
pbearne
My Device: Playbook OS

Where should the Backberry-config.xml be stored?

Or are you saying I can't add this by hand for now?

So I will just have to sign each build :-) (got that working just takes a bit more time)

Please use plain text.
Developer
TheMarco
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 32GB
My Carrier: Sprint

I have not tried this myself but one of the RIM folks here said at some point that it's possible to have config.xml point at a remote HTML document as a starting document. That way you can host all files related to your WebWorks app remotely and therefore edit them without having to deploy anything to the tablet.

I have not tried this myself yet but supposedly it works. That way you'd never have to deploy a thing and you can tinker with your app to your hearts content on the remote location. Once it's done you can change the config.xml to point to all the files locally, package and you're done.

Staff UI Prototyper (read: full-time hacker)

My BB10 apps: Screamager | Scientific RPN Calculator | The Last Weather App

Please use plain text.
Developer
reumerd
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

Run into the brick wall of the BlackBerry WebWorks unsigned deployment of the application due to the unavailability to set the Author and AuthorID in the bar package properly.

Any ETA when this could be resolved ?

I can off course just sign the application thing and deploy it but will not have the ability for webinspector. (I guess)

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Please use plain text.
Developer
praveen_rajan
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Not Specified

@all

I'm not very clear about this discussion. But would like to tell my view on this.  :smileyhappy:

I'm working with WebWorks SDK for Playbook. I was able to successfully launch an app both in my simulator as well as the device using debug tokens. This stands good for both signed and unsigned app.

Thanks

Praveen

Please use plain text.
Developer
ProfHawking
My Device: 8300>9000>9700>9900>Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

I found using the dev key and dev mode on the playbook to work first time. The only complication as mentioned above is the blackberry-tablet.xml file, which is not immmediatly obvious. It is simple to overcome though.

When you first package your app as a bar file for use on the simulator, (or wherever), rename it to a zip and open it up. You'll see a new file that has been put in there, blackberry-tablet.xml

Copy this file out of the package, and put it in your main application directory, with your config.xml file etc.

Edit this blackberry-tablet.xml file and edit/copy in the following code (adjusted for your own author, dev key etc

<publisher>### Your publisher name ###</publisher>
<category>### core.internet | core.media | core.games etc ###</category>

<author>### Your author name as given when you applied for dev keys ###</author>
<authorId>### Your dev key authorId: gsdjhdlLKJdljkdkjf etc ###</authorId>

Next time you package your app to a bar file, include this file with it. These settings will be kept every time you package your app, so you only have to do the above once.

Hope it works for you as well!

Please use plain text.
Developer
Heiko
My Carrier: Vodacom

Used the remote html document link (in config.html) to debug on the simulator.

Thus I could just edit the file on my local PC/webserver and reload the application in simulator (or just reload the link)

I could not get this to work on the LIVE playbook though - nor get any feedback on my prior post about this.

I assume it should be possible with a valid domain name, but not I you want to connect to an internal PC via hostname or  IP address.

Note that to be able to connect to an external URL you need to grant access to the external domain (in config.xml):

<content src="http://mytestdomain.com/testpath/index.htm"/>
  <access uri="http://mytestdomain.com" subdomains="true">

Also - I struggled with the DebugToken and the author, and authorId, and my last hurdle was that I was actually packaging it correctly, but uploading an old version of the package (bar) that wasn't packaged correctly.

Thus unzip the bar file and inspect the xml config file for author and authorId and make sure that you are uploading the correct one to your  playbook.

Also recall seing something about  author & authorId being case sensitive.

Please use plain text.
Developer
reumerd
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone NL

[ Edited ]

Thanks ProfHawking, After all the struggles I now have my WebWorkls application unsigned running in development on the PlayBook and able to use webinspector to debug it further on the PlayBook (if needed ;-), currently my app still validates with W3C and haven't found funtional issues, besides the non-obvious 1024x1024 standard WebUI viewport we're getting. I'd like to be able to lock it to landscape in 1024x600 with no more scrolling allowed (which means the page doesn't move when fingered.

my 2 caveats where:

1) not keeping this entry author:

./blackberry-keytool -genkeypair -keystore archeit.p12 -storepass xxxxxxxx -dname "cn=Arche IT bv" -alias author

2) Not trying to create a blackberry-tablet.xml next to the config.xml and zip it up in the archive.

my contents:

<qnx>
    <icon>
        <image>img/001/endb.png</image>
    </icon>
    <author>Arche IT bv</author>
    <authorId>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</authorId>
    <category>core.games</category>
    <splashscreen>img/flashscreen.png:img/flashscreen.png</splashscreen>
    <buildId></buildId>
    <platformVersion>1.0.0.0</platformVersion>
</qnx>

Now I've overtaken those hurdles I'm ready to rock some BlackBerry tablet testing.

Hopefully this will be documented and prevent others from the frustration.

@reumerd-- @BBDevGroupNL -- about me
If you like it, LIKE it ;-) ----- If it's solved, press solved ! --- If you solved it yourself, please let us know! We might have the same problem!
Please use plain text.
Developer
praveen_rajan
My Carrier: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Inorder to lock the orientation, you could use 

<rim:orientation mode="landscape" />

in your config.xml file. For fixing the page non scrollable you will have to dynamically set inner content height so that only the inner content height changes and page height remains constant.

Thanks

Praveen

Please use plain text.