Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Developer
peardox
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha B, 2x Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: 3, Orange, Vodafone

The Press

Reading the launch reports we got extremely bad reports about our new toy

I will make the following observations

1) Most of the idiots that review new devices see it for 30 minutes before they write the review - coming from a magazine background I can tell you with certainty that nothing you read is "set in gospel"

2) Reviewers go for the quick and simple - they have little time to explore the device

3) The Playbook has been described as the most brilliant kit out there, the only problem in the hardware I have read so far compares it to the iPad

It is us, the developers, who decide which platform fails or wins

I know I hve much support in community for what I say

Simply put - it is your challenge to make sure that the PB exceeds the current views

The only way you can do that is to create that MUST HAVE app - believe me, if I had it I'd write it!

Click the like button if you find my posts useful!
Please use plain text.
Developer
ProfHawking
My Device: 8300>9000>9700>9900>Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: The Press

It is getting some bad press unfortunately. I agree - I think this is mostly due to lazy reviewers. They have pretty much copy & pasted each others reviews!

One theme runs through them all - the hardware is solid (apart from the power button maybe?) and leading the competition in most aspects. Also, the OS itself is given praise - fast, slick interface and multitasking as it should be.

Where the press is hitting it is in the lack of apps, and some of the missing built in stuff like stand-alone email/calendar client. I think these issues though are really quite minor and temporary.

I'm not worried about apps, i think quality over quantity is best - who needs a thousand fart apps. And given time, we'll get more apps published. RIM has made it the easiest tablet to develop for if you ask me.

The media has missed the point of the playbook if you ask me - at this stage I see it as a tool for existing blackberry owners, rather than a PC replacement in its own light. As a blackberry user, I'm really excited to get my hands on it and start using it. I do not expect having to pair it to my BB Bold will be a downside, and I like the idea of tethering to save having to sign another contract for data. Inside i have wifi, and when outside I have my phone with me.

RIM has a busy time ahead of them though if they intend to cross from the business market and sell this to the consumers in large numbers - they need to get the promised stand-alone email/calendar extras etc out as soon as possible. I'm sure they know this, and will be working on it as fast as they can. But they had to launch, the longer they waited to get it perfect the more they fall back against the ipad2 etc.

Its a shame the media in general is so simplistic and lazy. I hope they are proved wrong!

Please use plain text.