Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

The functionality of Webworks apps vs Java?

Hi all,

i'm trying to do some stuff with the camera(custom button, saving pics and then displaying the thumbnail on a form page)in Webworks. I've done some searches through the forums and have only found Java-related solutions(particular function calls, etc). Are there some things that just can't be done through Webworks? I'd like to let my client know sooner than later that i'm not able to program some functionality. 

Thanks

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: The functionality of Webworks apps vs Java?

What you are wanting to do with launching the camera and embedding the image in your web page should be available in a couple of weeks. 

It will be made available on the PlayBook sometime this week, and then the Smartphone shortly after.  Our roadmaps are found here:

https://github.com/blackberry/WebWorks/wiki/Roadmap

Also, if there is functionality that is not yet exposed in WebWorks, you can write a custom JavaScript extension in Java 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: The functionality of Webworks apps vs Java?

Thank you so much. I check out the roadmap and am going to research how to write custom javascript extensions.