Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
enableDeepak
My Device: 9700

Totally Confused Novice

Hi,

I have a simple requirement to deploy an application that displays a login screen, makes a calls to webservice, validates login and finally display a welcome screen.

To make this application, assuming no JAVA but only Visual Studio:

1. One option is to install "Visual studio Blackberry plug-in for Web development". Create a set of Html pages with webservice call using basic JavaScript and deploy this application.

2. Second option is to install MDS Studio for Visual studio and create application (which has much more powerful IDE than option -1)

Questions:

Q1) What is MDS and how is it different/better than 1.

Q2) Which option is the one that will be continued to support in long term by Blackberry? I am confused with so many LOC pages.

Q3) Are they both free?

Q4) Where from can I download all stuff required for Option 2? I.e. MDS studio for Visual Studio?

Great if you can provide answers or links to make things clear.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Totally Confused Novice

Q1) What is MDS and how is it different/better than 1.

MDS Applications and their tooling has been end of lifed.  You cannot obtain any of the tools to build with this technology.  It's last supported operating system is v4.7.  

Q2) Which option is the one that will be continued to support in long term by Blackberry? I am confused with so many LOC pages.

BlackBerry widgets is our supported technology going forward.  

Q3) Are they both free?

Yes

Q4) Where from can I download all stuff required for Option 2? I.e. MDS studio for Visual Studio?

You cannot download this tooling, it is now End Of Life.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter