Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Contributor
uelsimon
My Device: z10
My Carrier: TMobile USA
Accepted Solution

Trouble getting Built for blackberry boilerplate sample to work

Hi,

First day trying to get into the world of Webworks for BBY develoment, and am having some trouble.  Especially in light of little to no beginner tutorials out there.  sheeh!

Anyway...  So I've installed ripple in chrome and am able to get the hello world to appear.

I downloaded the Built for Blackberry - BBUI.js 0.9x Boilerplate  from github,  but alas, I cannot get it to work at all.

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Samples/tree/master/BfB-Boilerplate-bbUI.js-0.9x

1) when I load up the index.html,  it just sits there with a blank black screen (even though it is supposed ot move along to home.html)

2) if I direct load any of the other pages, I only see a text menu with the list of other screens.  This content is not formatted either, but is simply presented like the text in the HelloWorld example.

Any ideas how to resolve this...  and where I can find some more beginner tutorials that have step by step diretions I can follow?

Thanks Everyone.

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
usr501
My Device: Ripple, LE Z10, Dev Alpha _C, Playbook, Bold 9900
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Trouble getting Built for blackberry boilerplate sample to work

[ Edited ]

I believe there is a report in Github for this..relating to a blank screen..as for  the screen color it is styled black in the boilerplate

https://github.com/blackberry/BB10-WebWorks-Samples/issues/160

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
uelsimon

@usr501 - tnx for pointing this out.  i feel 2% less useess now:smileyhappy:

hmm ok... will see if i can scotch tape together the missing code from another sample or something.  

know any good resources for beginners by any chance?

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
usr501

[ Edited ]

yes..

for BBUI and I recommend it highly... go here...https://github.com/blackberry/bbUI.js/tree/master/samples/bb10

give yourself a couple of days and you should be able to filter thru all the code and have something working that resamples an app.

build a directory and add what functions you want. for example ...you want bbm.html so copy that file and its dependancy files( javascript) into your directory.pay attention to any scripts that need to be added to the DOM ( index file)for files you add to your directory.

You want an app menu for top swipe down so you require that code for each page (screen) you build. its all there ...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
uelsimon

ok..will give it a whirl.  thanks for the guidance

Please use plain text.
Trusted Contributor
usr501

good--go crazy-- get organized

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
chadtatro
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

Hello,

So the BfB Boilerplate was mostly meant to be run on device/simulator.

If you add a try/catch to the index.html (like below) it will at least display properly for you in the browser. Basically, it's getting stuck on the BBM registration call which isn't available in Chrome.

Also, if you load up Chrome's Web Inspector and view the console, you'll be able to see any debug comments I've left, or error (in red).

try {
    // register with bbm
    Bbm.register();

// setup active frame / window cover App.ui.windowCover.setup('local:///images/cover.png'); } catch(e) { console.log('BBM / Window Covers will not work in the browser. On device only.'); }

Chad Tetreault | App Development Consultant | BlackBerry Developer Relations | developer.blackberry.com | @chadtatro
Please use plain text.