Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Trouble getting Web Icon deployed and working on device

I have been really struggling with trying to get a Web Icon app deployed and working on a device. I was getting a signing error complaining that API. But I have signed the app within Eclipse:

BUILDING DailyBroadcast

cmd.exe /c bbwp C:\Documents and Settings\elliotbd\workspace\DailyBroadcast\build\DailyBroadcast.zip /o C:\Documents and Settings\elliotbd\workspace\DailyBroadcast\build /g "password goes here"

[INFO]                  Parsing command line options

[INFO]                  Parsing bbwp.properties

[INFO]                  Validating widget archive

[INFO]                  Parsing config.xml

[WARNING]               Failed to find a <feature> element

[INFO]                  Populating widget source

[INFO]                  Compiling widget

[INFO]                  Starting signing tool

[INFO]                  Signing complete

[INFO]                  Generating output files

[INFO]                  Widget packaging complete

BUILD SUCCESS

Is the WARNING above meaningful.

I have tried everything I have found on the forums including this one:

lhttp://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/BlackBerry-Applications-and-code-signing-Start-to-Finish/ta-p/445848

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/20770/Sign_the_cod_file_for_a_BB_Widget_applic...

I use the JavaLoader to get the app on my BB Torch but now it does nothing when I try to launch it. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Brian

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Trouble getting Web Icon deployed and working on device

Hi Brian,

The warning is just there letting you know that you haven't used any APIs.. it is harmless.  Can you describe what exactly your application is doing?  If it is trying to open up web content inside the applicatin from a remote URL, have you whitelisted the domain of that remote URL?

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

I was getting an error displayed, "attempts to access a secure API." But I have signed the package in Eclipse and whitelisted the domain in the widget config settings. After playing around with it a bit (including rebooting the device), I am now getting nothing when the web icon starts on the device. It doesn't give a message or anything. I guess I can delete it and try again?

Retired

You can try deleting the application and re-adding it.  Something that I have done in the past is grabbed the wrong version of the cod files (unsigned ones) and tried to deploy them on the device.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

I tried deleting it and reinstalling and it still does nothing when I pick it. I tried this a number of times and still get the same result.

One of the things that might be causing the problem, is that I copy the COD file to a different directory to do the installation (JavaLoader) because the default location where Eclilpse builds the COD file isn't liked by the loader:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\bin>JavaLoader -u
sb load C:\Documents and Settings\elliotbd\workspace\DailyBroadcast\build\Standa
rdInstall
RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
Copyright 2001-2009 Research In Motion Limited
Connected
Loading Documents                     Error: unable to open file
Loading and                           Error: unable to open file
Loading StandardInstall               Error: unable to open file

Disconnected

But if I copy the files to a directory away to a simplier file path (not in Documents and Settings), it seems to work:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Widget Packager\bin>JavaLoader -u
sb load C:\Dev\blackberry\DailyBroadcast\build\StandardInstall\DailyBroadcast.co
d
RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
Copyright 2001-2009 Research In Motion Limited
Connected
Loading DailyBroadcast                Done
101864 bytes sent at ~814912 bps
Disconnected

Any ideas if this is leading to the symptom of picking the Web Icon once it is loaded on the device and it does nothing?

Thanks.

Retired

When you do the javaloader commands, if you put your file path in quotes it should work fine.  It will likely be the spaces in the path name that is throwing javaloader off.

I have honestly never seen/heard of the problem you are having.  Have you tried the same thing with a simple "Hello World" HTML page as the starting page?  I'm wondering if there is something going on in your HTML or JavaScript that is causing the problem.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
Contributor

Putting the file path to the cod file in double quotes does work. I put a Hello World path in the Web Icon and that works in the emulator but not on the device. It still does nothing -- even with the Hello World reference. I am thinking of recreating the Esclipe project from scratch. I tried deploying to the device via the Blackberry Desktop and importing the alx file as an alternative to the JavaLoader approach but the Desktop approach does not work.

Contributor

Ok, I tried a Hello World URL at a server with a full domain and not an IP address and I get better results in the emulator, it works. I also am not working with the latest full Eclipse download and plug-in from BB. But when I try to run the Web Icon on my BB Torch 9800, I get the error, "'DailyBroadcast' attempts to access a secure API." I am signing the app in Eclipse successfully:

BUILDING DailyBroadcast
cmd.exe /c bbwp C:\Documents and Settings\elliotbd\workspace\DailyBroadcast\build\DailyBroadcast.zip /o C:\Documents and Settings\elliotbd\workspace\DailyBroadcast\build /g "<my password is here>"
[INFO]              Parsing command line options
[INFO]              Parsing bbwp.properties
[INFO]              Validating application archive
[INFO]              Parsing config.xml
[WARNING]           Failed to find a <feature> element
[INFO]              Populating application source
[INFO]              Compiling BlackBerry WebWorks application
[INFO]              Starting signing tool
[INFO]              Signing complete
[INFO]              Generating output files
[INFO]              BlackBerry WebWorks application packaging complete
BUILD SUCCESS

And the cod file I am loading onto the device has a modificatin date that corresponds with when I do the build. One thing I did notice is that the Signature Tool does display a dialog:signing screen shot.jpgNotice that the first DailyBroadcast.cod file has that the Status is "Not Registered." I don't know if this is significant or not?

Should I try the command line Signature Tool?

Contributor

I tried using the BlackBerry Signing Authority Tool v1.0 and the same thing happens when I pick the Web Icon on the BB Torch - nothing.

Contributor

I found this tutorial and reviewed my installation:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/BlackBerry-Applications-and-code-signi...

I realized I had not imported all 3 csi keys. So now my Signature dialog shows Signed instead of not registered.I thought this was the answer but it appears to only be part of it because it still doesn't launch the web browser on the BB Torch device. It still does nothing! I rebooted the device and it still does nothing. The ESPN and CNN app launch okay. Frustration is high. After doing iPhone, Android, and Palm development of this app, I did not expect Blackberry to be so frustrating. Maybe I am doing something dumb.