Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
belliott
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Trouble getting Web Icon deployed and working on device

I realized that Signature Tool lists 2 files that it is sigining "DailyBroadcast.cod" and "DailyBroadcast-1.cod" But there is only a "DailyBroadcast-1.cod" in my build\OTAInstall directory and not the build\StandardInstall directory. So I used the JavaLoader to install both of the files and guess what? IT WORKED! My Hello World page launched! I am not sure exactly why I both (or maybe I just need to one with the "-1" but my guess is that there are two versions of the app and the "-1" version is the one needed. I had been using the cod file in the StandardInstall directory. I am not sure why I should be using the OTA (Over The Air?) cod file when I am using the JavaLoader with the USB hardwire connection?

But something is working now!

Here is the Signature Tool:

signing screen shot.JPG

Can anybody add some clarity of how to clean up the double file issue and why the OTA version seems like the right one to use?

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi belliott,

The OTA (Over the Air) folder will sometimes contain more than one *.cod file.  This is because for OTA installs, the file sizes are broken down smaller and split up for a more efficient install process.

The Standard Install folder doesn't have this constraint.  Whether or not multiple *.cod files are created in the OTA directory will depend on the application's size.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Developer
billfoust
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

I'm just finishing an app with a number of resourses. I was shocked to see that it made some 34 COD files and puzzled why for a while before realizing what TNeil just said: the resources are packaged into small chunks as many COD files... The user doesn't notice or care that there are so many chunks when doing an OTA install, but I will say that the 90-some confirmation emails I get each time I sign the application is downright annoying.

Bill

Bill
-------------------------------------------
Check out my book on BlackBerry Development for Java.
And my other really really old book
My Apps: FlashKids
Contributor
belliott

The OTA separate files won't work for submitting to App World that I know of so I am back to square one. If I use Eclipse to do the signing, I get the follow error even though I have updated the Widget Permissions in Eclipse with every variation I can think of.

“The resource could not be retrieved because it was not found in the config.xml”

Or  I used command line version of bbwp (instead of Eclipse), I get “Attempts to access a secure API.”

Does Blackberry offer support per incident?

Contributor
belliott

It looks like it is $249 for help in getting tech support help from Blackberry on this:

If you are without a BlackBerry Technical Support Services contract, or if your subscription does not include developer support, you can purchase a developer support incident for $249 USD

Not an option.

Contributor
belliott

It seems like a miracle to me --I finally got it to work!

I upgraded the WebWorks SDK to the lastest version (something like 1.5.1.18 to 1.5.1.22). This always failed when I tried to download it and run it because of read errors. So I downloaded the Visual Studio plugin that includes the widget SDK and the upgrade worked. I had trouble signing with Visual Studio so I went back to Eclipse and it worked to install it on a device where it did not before. My guess is that the .18 version was buggy.

Also changed the remote site widget permissions to:

<access subdomains="true" uri="*"/>

After this change, the app worked on the similator and then on the device -- once it was signed. I submitted to App World.

New Contributor
18jacky
My Device: bold 9700

Hello tneil,

thats exactly what I wanted to get as I developed my first app with webworks and it's running on the simulator fine.
Open a Page inside the App...

I signed the App with all 3 keys and I have checked it with Signature Tool!
But as soon as I want to run it on the BlackBerry I get the error:

"Error starting Test: module 'Test' attempts to access a secure API"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"
xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets"
version="1.0.0.0">
<name>Test</name>
<description>Test</description>

<icon src="icon.jpg"/>
<content src="http://www.test.com/Page.htm"/>
<feature id="blackberry.com" version="1.0.0.0"/>
<access uri="http://www.test.com/Page.htm" subdomains="true" />