Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
bkbonner
My Device: Not Specified

Trying to install Web Plugin for Eclipse

I receive this message:

An error occurred while collecting items to be installed
  Error closing the output stream for net.rim.browser.tools.mdscs.feature4.1.5.200904091609-32/org.eclipse.update.feature/4.1.5.200904091609-32 on repository file:/C:/eclipse/.
  Error unzipping C:\DOCUME~1\BBonner\LOCALS~1\Temp\net.rim.browser.tools.mdscs.feature4.1.5.200904091609-32_4.1.5.200904091609-328864715807770831546.jar: Invalid zip file format

I installed JDK 1.6 U16 and also changed Eclipse -vm parameter to use the JDK at startup.

How do I finish installing this code?  Thanks.

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Trying to install Web Plugin for Eclipse

Hi There,

Can you list the following:

- Your operating system (XP/Vista and 32/64bit)

- Your version of Eclipse

- Which install you are trying (update site, full install, download zip file)

This should help us diagnose your issue.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
bkbonner

Hi, thanks for the reply.  I'm using Windows XP (32 bit),  I'm using Eclipse 3.4.2.  I was trying to use the update site.

Retired
tneil

We have seen from time to time that when our secure server is too busy it would simply drop the connection while downloading these .jar files from the update site.

Eclipse doesn't really give any feedback to the user that this has happened. The result is that the complete .jar file is not downloaded, but instead only some bytes of it.  This causes the archive to become corrupt (files incompletely downloaded).

Unfortunately the workaround is to try to download the jars again from the update site.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter
New Developer
bkbonner

Hi, thanks for the response.  If that is really the reason -- why doesn't RIM put the jar files in a location that has adequate bandwidth like Amazon EC2/S3.   I've never had this problem with any other eclipse plugins and I've been using it for quite some time.  This might have been acceptable in the past, but with iPhone and Android phones out in the marketplace.  I think you'll need to step up the game.

I'll also add that no other eclipse plugins I have installed prompt for authentication when installing.  Most of them use a key after the fact -- perhaps you should try this route.

I'll try again. 

Brian

Retired
tneil

We have been addressing bandwidth with our download site and we are making progress there.  The download prompt has been put in place for legal and export controls reasons. The combination of these prompts and SSL can aggravate the problem you have experienced. We are also working with the internal teams to address this as well.

It is definitely a top priority for delivering our tools to the community.

Tim Neil
Follow me on Twitter