Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
lex_talionis
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

URGENT!! Our Paid App Was Approved With Critical Errors

[ Edited ]

We released an app for the Z10 a few weeks ago and everything had been working on our end so we assumed there were no potential compatibility issues.

App ID: 25526900

However, we've recently received an email from a customer who said that there are the following errors:

1) When he clicks the button in our app to "Take a Picture" he gets the error "Unable to Open the Camera" (this has also been reported by another customer). Admittedly this same error came up on the BB OS10 simulator, but we asked a friend to test it on his Z10 device and he said it worked (as did a few other customers). So it seems like a hit and miss thing.  We used the Load-Camera source code provided by Blackberry on github.

2) He's able to rotate the screen orientation (and thereby distorting the way the app is supposed to look) even though we had specified the Portrait orientation in the config.xml file.

Since this is a paid app, we expect our app to perform flawlessly on the new Z10 devices.  Even though only 2 out of the many customers have reported issues with the app, it's still significant enough to worry us that there could be potential future compabitility issues.  The app was not ported over from Android, iOS, or any other device and was made to run on the new Z10 devices.

We understand there could be certain settings on the customer's side that make the app not run the way it should. If so, which settings could potentially affect camera operation?

Could a Blackberry employee please look into this for us.  The ticket system on the Vendor portal doesn't seem to have an option for high priority technical app-related issues.

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: URGENT!! Our Paid App Was Approved With Critical Errors

I tried the app.

1) If the user already has the camera open (or another app that has the camera open) then the app will show that error.  You may want to check if the camera open fails in your app and then show a Notification Dialog box about this problem.  Ask them to make sure to close other apps or the camera before using your app.

As an aside I still couldn't get the 'Take Photo to Draw On' to work properly.  I took a picture but went right back to the home screen.  I dont have a SD Card on this device (do you only write to the SD card perhaps?)

2) I tested this and I htink the user was incorrect.  Maybe they were asking if you 'could' make it so it worked in landscaped mode .... maybe they have a picture they took in landscape and want to draw on it.  You may want to consider allowing landscape mode as well.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
Contributor
lex_talionis
My Device: BB Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

Wow!! Thank you so much Steven!!! We owe you one for that!

Thanks for taking the time to try the app and write such a helpful post. It's people like you who make this development community great and we need more like you. We will be looking into it now :smileyhappy:

Not sure why it made it was approved with that kind of issue on the app!
Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

Thank you for the kind words.  I can see how it was approved because the app does work well in the case that you tested it yourself....and the RIM team doesn't test every combination.   Most users won't see these issues so I don't think you need to rush to fix it.  

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.