Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

Contributor
HaggleLad
My Carrier: All

URGENT - PROBLEM DEVICE - BOLD 9780 - WebWorks Crashing

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

We've just finished developing a large, complex WebWorks application and before release our customer has been doing some testing.  Unfortunately they are completely unable to run the application on a specific BOLD 9780.  When they launch the app, the loading screen appears momentarily and then the app crashes with no memory warning, it just closes/disappears.

The interesting thing is the application runs fine on our own BOLD 9780 and on other devices it is just this specific BOLD 9780 that is causing the problem.

Having done thorough testing and debugging I have been able to prove that this crash has nothing to do with our application code.  If I create the simplest WebWorks application possible with a single BUT LARGE htm page and a config.xml (as below) exactly the same behaviour is exhibited.  

---------
index.htm
---------
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head><title>Simple Large HTML Page</title></head>
<body>
    <a href="index.htm">Refresh</a>
    ... this same line repeated 5000 times to deliberately increase the file size of the page
</body>
</html>

----------
config.xml
----------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<widget xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets" xmlns:rim="http://www.blackberry.com/ns/widgets" version="1.0" rim:header="RIM-Widget:rim/widget">
  <name>Test Install</name>
  <content src="index.htm" />
</widget>

Occasionally the application will launch but if I refresh the page (using one of the many links) it will normally crash immediately.  Is WebWorks not handling the memory correctly? Is there anything I can do on the device to cure this fatal issue? (Note we have already tried a factory reset)

This application is due for release last week but with such a severe and critical problem it just isn't feasible to proceed.  I would really appreciate some feedback urgently, preferably from someone at BlackBerry.

I would to point our that our company has plans to develop numerous other WebWorks application for a number of other customers however unfortunately if problems like these continue to materialise the platform just is not a feasible option for development. what a shame.

Really hoping someone can help,

Ollie

NOTES:

The problem BOLD 9780 in question has been factory reset and is running v6.0.0294, (Bundle 905, Platform 6.5.0.54)

I am building with the 2.2.0.15 version of the WebWorks Windows SDK with no template or ext modifications.

I have also checked out the "Next" branch of the SDK source code, compiled myself a copy of the most recent SDK code and built with this and the simple application still crashes in exactly the same way.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HaggleLad

Re: URGENT - PROBLEM DEVICE - BOLD 9780 - WebWorks Crashing

[ Edited ]

OK, so we've found a Torch 9800 device with exactly the same problem and fortunately this has enabled us to do a more thorough investigation of version numbers and the like.  Note we have another Torch 9800 that works perfectly.  My findings are shown in the image below.  Basically the two problem devices are running v6.0.0.2?? of the BlackBerry OS where as all our other devices which work fine are on v6.0.0.6?? and above.

VersionsAndCrashing.jpg

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HaggleLad

I have just upgraded the Torch 9800 to 6.0.0.337 and its still having problems.  Off to try the another version.  Hopefully at some point it will start working and I'll have some idea at what point the BB OS was fixed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HaggleLad

Have now installed version 6.0.0.448 on the Torch 9800 and all WebWorks application seem to run correctly now.  Hurray!

There was obviously a BB OS fix for memory/garbage collection at some point between 6.0.0.337 and 6.0.0.448.  I guess we will just have to advise customers that they must upgrade to 6.0.0.448 or higher in order to use the application, not ideal but at least its not our code or WebWorks that's the culprit.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HaggleLad

Problem BOLD 9780 now upgraded to 6.0.0.359 and WebWorks application still crashing as expected.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
jeffheifetz
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi HaggleLad,

I was able to easily reproduce the issue you've described. While I am in contact with the browser team, it seems like its just an out of memory error.

There is a hard limit of memory set aside for all browserfield instances (including webworks apps) and this amount appears to change between different versions of the OS.

Unfortunately I don't know of any workarounds at the moment, but I will continue investigating.

1.Please resolve your thread by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button below the post which solved your problem!
2. If any post helps you please click the button below the post(s)
Please use plain text.
Contributor
HaggleLad

Problem BOLD 9780 now upgraded to 6.0.0.448 and WebWorks application ARE WORKING.  Confirms the above.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
HaggleLad

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply jeffheifetz, nice to know someone from BlackBerry is actually reading and acknowledging.  If there is any workaround possible then I would extrememly interested in knowing.

For the time being we have introduced a new light-weight "VersionCheck" page into our app that checks the device version using blackberry.system.softwareVersion. If the device is lower than v6.0.0.448 an appropriate warning message is displayed telling the user to upgrade their OS.  If the OS version is good we immediately redirect to an actual application start page (which is much larger and will cause a crash on lower OS devices).

Not ideal but at least the user doesn't just have a home screen icon for an app that always crashes!

Please use plain text.
Developer
songdawg
My Carrier: n/a

Thank you for creating and contributing to this thread. I am experiencing this same issue (application crashes right after launch and sometimes opens but crashes soon after) on a Blackberry 9780 v6.0.0.285 with a Webworks application we are working on.

Can someone from RIM please confirm what OS version is the minimum version to run a Webworks application on or please direct me to where I can find this information?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
kaansengul
My Carrier: Turkcell

I have same problem for some BOLD devices such as 9800.. 

Please use plain text.