Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
GJCreme
My Device: Not Specified

Unable to browse the web via device simulators

I am not sure if this is related to the web development forum, but as I am trying to test our web page I thought I would try to post it here... 

We have created a website that should be used by our customer blackberry users, and I am having a problem testing the site.  We have had two customers say that they are unable to visit the site, so I downloaded the device simulators from your site in order to try to test it and replicate the problem.  I downloaded and installed both of these: 

BlackBerry_Simulators_4.6.1.204_8350i.exe

BlackBerry_Simulators_4.7.0.148_9530-Verizon.exe

When I launch them, they both launch without a problem,  and everything seems to be working, with the exception of my being unable to access any websites - not google, or cnn or anything.  

It just sits there and says requesting for a long time.  On the storm simulator, it eventually says"  Unable to connect to the selected Mobile DAta Service, please try again later.".  on the 8530i simulator, it just ends up sitting there forever with no response and it just says "requesting ... " at the bottom of the screen. 

I have tried this on two different computers, on two different networks, and get the same results... so I figure I must be doing something wrong... Can someone tell me how to get this to be able to browse the web from my pc?  

Thanks!  

Greg

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Unable to browse the web via device simulators

You need to download/install and run the MDS Services and Email Simulator before launching your smartphone simulator.  You can download this software from the exact same place you downloaded your simulator.  It is the very first option in the drop down.

It acts as a proxy for the simulators 

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
chrislim8

I believe that you probably know this site like the back of your hand, but for those of us who do not and find it difficult to navigate around, would it be possible to provide a link to the MDS Services download?

TIA,

Chris

Please use plain text.
New Developer
chrislim8

Sorry, let me update, I did get to here:

Software Download for BlackBerry MDS

Downloading BlackBerry MDS Services SP1 v1.0.2.24

But during installation it's looking for a sql server?  Isn't there just a basic proxy or some other way to get the simulator to connect to the internet?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

The download that you want is in the same place as you selected the device simulator to download:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=060AD92489947D410D897474079C1477

It is the first item in the dropdown list called "BlackBerry Email and MDS Services Simulator Package"

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter
Please use plain text.
New Developer
chrislim8

THANK YOU!
Please use plain text.