If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Web and WebWorks Development

New Developer
nkaul2033
My Device: Blackberry 9630
My Carrier: T_Mobile
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later.

Dear All,

I downloaded the Blackberry Email and MDS Services Simulator 4.1.4 and Blackberry 9630 Simulator. I am trying to test a blackberry asp.net application that i have running on a test server using the blackberry simulator.

I have windows XP box . When i try to run the MDS Service it runs w/o error but on getting to the website - http://www.blackberry.com/go/mobile it errors out saying the above message - Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later. How can i fix this problem, i tried using fully qualified names in the config file.

Any ideas?

Nav.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later.

[ Edited ]

Hi Nav, thanks for your post. 

When using the BlackBerry 9630 Smartphone simulator, you may need to change its default connection settings in order to provide it with network connectivity.  The reason why is because the 9630, being a world phone, provides support for different types of network technology and a configuration change may be necessary in order for it to work with the MDS-CS simulator.

1. From the home screen, click on the "Manage Connections" icon

2. A popup window will open, select "Mobile Network Options"

3. In  the options screen, ensure the following field values are set:

• Data Services = "On"
  • Network Selection Mode = "Automatic"
  • Network Technology = "1XEV"

4. Close the "mobile network options" screen to save any changes

The 9630 smartphone simulator should now have network connectivity.

Sincerely,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
nkaul2033

Re: Unable to connect to the selected Mobile Data Service, please try again later.

Adam,

Thanks for your help. Now i can view the data from internet. For an ASP.NET page coming from my localhost or Intranet meant only for blackberry do i need to run the MDS service or can i just do with the simulator.

Is there an example i can mimic to test my website using the simulator now since i can see the sites correctly. I just need to test 2.0 ASP.NET webs site running AJAX script on Windows XP box. Everything is local right now but will be moved to staging later on.

Sincere Regards,

Navneet Kaul.

Please use plain text.
Administrator
astanley
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Navneet,

The 9630 Smartphone simulator inherits the same network access as the computer it is running on.  If your computer has access to Internet and/or Intranet web content, then it will be accessible from the Smartphone simulator as well.

This may be different than a real BlackBerry Smartphone, which would need to be connected to your BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) in order to have access to your Intranet resources.

For the test case you describe, I'd recommend creating an ASPX web page on your test machine that uses AJAX.  Try to avoid using URLs that reference "localhost" as the MDS-CS simulator doens't always interpret this correct.  If you can use a network domain name, that would be better.  Knowledge Base article DB-00765 shows an example of using XmlHttpRequest to make an AJAX request for a local web resource.

Best regards,

Adam

Follow me on Twitter: @n_adam_stanley
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your app doesn't work? Use BlackBerry remote web inspector to find out why.
Please use plain text.
New Developer
nkaul2033

Adam,

My web testing is going faster than normal after talking to you using the blackberrysimulator. We did test it on a local Blackberrry Enterprise Server using a real Blackberry device and it works great!! . I will use a real network domain name which already exists in Test and Dev environments. This will probably take another day.  I will keep you updated on the progress, at this time time i do not see any bottlenecks as the website is already in QA testing and working fine.

I will keep you updated on the progress. Thanking you again for your time and support.

Sincere Regards,

Navneet Kaul

Please use plain text.
New Developer
johnbusteed
My Device: BB 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

I am having the same problem with the 8310 Simulator. We are attempting to deploy a web site that will need to be tested on several different types of phones which the 8310 is the primary phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best regards,
john

Please use plain text.
New Developer
nkaul2033

Dear All,

I noticed while testing my Blackberry Simulator 9630 that somehow the trackball isnt working while scrolling and also my MD-CS Console is not outputting any data.  My webpage was coming up and testing fine, did i do something to mess up the connection, i am pointed to x1ev and automatic. Just a minute back my whole application ran a dozen times!!

Please help.

Sincere Regards,

Navneet Kaul.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
nkaul2033

Please disregard my prior posting. I have fixed it. I ran the MDS-CS Service and now it is running fine, silly me.

Will post more questions later if i have any.

Sincere ragrds,

Navneet Kaul.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
nkaul2033

Re: ASP Modal Popup Extender not working along with ASP Panel in browser

John,

If you havent figured this out already please refer to Adams comments on howto change the Manage Network Connections in the posting above and rerun the MDS service.  Hopefully that should work.

Dear All,

I have an ASPModalPopUpExtender control with an ASP Panel using AJAX that is not working in the browser on one page. My javascript is turned on and i am able to view other ASP.NET pages perfectly. Any ideas if this is a AJAX bug or i goofed up somewhere since i know there is AJAX support in the Blackberry 9630 simulator unless otherwise !!

I can do a workaround if this is not working by tomorrow. Any help will be greatly......... appreciated. This is the only remaining item on my plate before this app goes into full time production testing.

Thanking again in advance.

Sincere Regards.

Navneet Kaul.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
nkaul2033

Re: ASP Modal Popup Extender not working along with ASP Panel in browser

Thanks to everybody my application is working great on blackberry.

Thanks for all your help and support!!

Sincere Regards,

Navneet Kaul.

Please use plain text.